is trustee fee fair?

treefrog

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hello,
the trustee is preparing to dissolve a 100 (or so) year old trust and distribute its assets, predicated on the death of the last beneficiary of the income of the trust ("measuring person").
The trustee seems to think it is entitled to a fee described as "one year's market value termination fee". I don't know any more than the above description. Does this seem reasonable? The trust has assets of just over $1 million.

Treefrog

The trustee seems to think it is entitled to a fee described as "one year's market value termination fee". I don't know any more than the above description. Does this seem reasonable?

Considering you apparently don't know what the quoted language means, how are we supposed to know what it means -- much less assess its reasonableness?

You didn't say what your relationship is to the trust or the trustee. If you're concerned about the reasonableness (or lack thereof) of what the trustee is seeking as a fee, I suggest you consult with a local attorney. Otherwise, you're going to need to provide some factual information so that we can try and assess the situation.

Back