Is this legal??

C

Confused student

Jurisdiction
Illinois
OK. So I was at school and the teachers suck there so my mother wanted me to move back in with her and I was going to until I found out I would lose too many credits and decided to finish the school year. Problem is, I didn't go to school Thursday and Friday, assuming I was moving. I'm 18 and my principal gave me two Friday schools and also calls my parents every time I am absent from school wether it be from illness or the nausea and dizziness I get from my medication. He gave me the Friday schools (total of six hours) for being truant. But I am 18? Does he even have the authority to do that?

OK. So I was at school and the teachers suck there so my mother wanted me to move back in with her and I was going to until I found out I would lose too many credits and decided to finish the school year. Problem is, I didn't go to school Thursday and Friday, assuming I was moving. I'm 18 and my principal gave me two Friday schools and also calls my parents every time I am absent from school wether it be from illness or the nausea and dizziness I get from my medication. He gave me the Friday schools (total of six hours) for being truant. But I am 18? Does he even have the authority to do that?

At age 18, you're an adult.
Why are you wasting your time, as well as school resources?
Why not drop out, and get a GED?
At age 18 you can assume full responsibility for yourself at school.
You simply ask a vice-principal, counselor, or school registrar to sign the form giving you as an adult full control of your schooling.

You can do this today, certainly no later than tomorrow, and start building your future, not destroying it.

At this late date you're creating a mountain of troubles, insofar as school is concerned, that you'll never climb.

The best route is to get your GED, avoid ruining your name at school and making unneeded trouble or you and your mom.

You can also enroll at a community college, without a GED or HS diploma.
Many teenagers and adults take that route.
The community college will assist you in EARNING your GED, test your attitudes and interests, and help you decide on a career path.

Good luck, stop wasting YOUR precious life and time.

Make yourself proud, and your mother, too.

Can principals give you Friday schools (3 hour detentions) for truancy if you are 18?

What do you think, once you turn 18 the rules no longer apply to you?

Boy, are you in for a shock...

You would not face any legal consequences for truancy, but you are still subject to the school rules and its disciplinary policy.
There are consequences for missing school. In the future make sure you notify in advance and have an acceptable excuse for not attending.

Back