Visitor, Guest Is this legal? What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohndr

I live in a detached attic of a garage, my landlords live across the parking lot. My landlords informed me that they have decided that since they don't know the people I have over to my house they don't feel comfortable with them on their property...my family is okay according to them...they said that if I want to have someone over they don't know they want to meet them. The reason they feel this way is I have two guys that visit me maybe twice a month. The wife wanted to know what was going on and went into the garage and listened to me having sex. They accused me of being a hooker because I paid part of my rent in cash (I don't have a checking account). These guys come over maybe 2 - 3 times a month...that makes me a hooker. There is nothing in my rental agreement about the people I have over except I can't have someone live with me. I feel like I'm in jail. Now anytime I have a day off or home they work in the garage making tons of noise. They informed me during our conversation that they don't need a reason to evict me when I told them that I think this is illegal. I keep a clean house, pay my rent, don't have parties, am not loud, etc. I'm just at a loss as what to do

They absolutely can not interrupt your quiet enjoyment of the property that you are renting. The noise may be something you should have anticipated, but quite frankly listening to you have sex is creepy, and telling you that you can't have visitors is a no no. Do you have a lease? If you do they also can not evict you for any old reason. If you do not have a lease you are a tenant at will and they can terminate your tenancy for any reason with (usually) 60 days notice.

I personally would tell them to mind their own business and tell them if they try to evict you that you will sue them for wrongful eviction. You can have a guy a day over, it's none of their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back