Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Is this legal? Long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BellaNella28

*This is the 2nd time this has happened to me..* FYI- Ill be 22 in november.

Situation #1- St patty's day, my bf, his friends and i go down to Pacific Beach (bunch of clubs/bars/restaurants). Im the DD (dont really drink), and we wait an hour in line and finally get to the door. The bouncer checks my ID, and then asks me 28073827 questions, i answer every one correctly, and he has me sign my signature (same license from 16). I was nervous, so i guess i signed differently .. but its been almost 6 yrs, of course i sign differently. He doesnt believe its me and takes my ID away, and tells me to go find a cop and so i did, and basically the cop says your outta luck, you surrendered the ID, have to go to the police department to try and get it back. It took A WEEK before i was able to track my license down, the dectetive came to my work and had me sign my name again.. Finally i got it. After MUCH frustration.. I call the owner of the place, he tells me sorry for the inconvience, ill give you free drinks/dinner. He never calls back.

Situation #2- Last night my girlfriends and i wanted a girls nite out. We go to the same place *i havent gone since st patty's day*, and i brought my passport/license/credit card. We get to the door and the bouncer starts questioning me again. He checks my passport and doesnt believe its me again (he said my bone structure is totallly diff, and my face is thinner, ...etc). This time he takes BOTH license and passport. I was FURIOUS, and im sure i sounded like a drunk sailor.. I let the curse words fly haha.. I told him to find me a police officer, cause im not leaving w/out 1 form of id.. how the hell am i going to use a credit card? go to the bank?..etc. I said arrest me cause im not leaving..
The cops finally come, and we begin the process of checking my background info..etc. He asks me if ive ever had a ticket, i told him no, he says.. r u sure? i said yes, and he said.. hmm says u have one here (ive never had a ticket, maybe they were tryin to get me to crash). Then he asked me all the cars ive owned, i told him AND i told him every license plate of every car i own (i have a good memory lol). He said out of the 15 yrs hes been working in PB, im 1 out of 2 ppl that have said their license plate on all cars. So all this time the bouncer is trying to convince the cops its not me. I showed him everything in my wallet from blockbuster cards, insurance, school id, ..u name it. After fighting for over an hour, the cop decides to give me just the passport back because i was so adament/stubborn. So i had to go to the dmv this morning and apply for a new license and picture (4 weeks till i get it), there goes a stupid $20, and i cant go/do anything w/ only a passport. Im never going back there again, and im a girl, sometimes i wear my hair straight, curly, wavy, ..etc. how am i supposed to have a new pic everytime i go out?

Sorry this is so long, but can they just take away my id and after all the proof i had... Ugh SO mad.

Unless they have special laws there they cannot. Depending on the circumstances, of course, you might actually have had reason to sue the place for false imprisonment and trespass to chattel. (Yes, I know that normally you would say she was free to leave any time so it is no false imprisonment, but there are courts now who accept the fact that a reasonable person would not want to leave without her IDs and therefore feel unfree to leave).

But what I would do is just forget this place and never go there again.

Last edited:
NYCLEX is right, I would stay away. BUT......after I re-read your thoughts again and again, I can't help but think that you were not totally innocent in the ordeal. Examine every detail that you have outlined and ponder on what you may have contributed to the ordeal. No way am I blaming you! I would just approach it differently. Maybe less defiant. They may be trying to get your goat and you are responding. Remember this is a club, not church. People respond to certain vibes, what message are you sending? Best of luck to you. I was misunderstood too. I changed, they didn't. ;)

NYClex said:
Unless they have special laws there they cannot. Depending on the circumstances, of course, you might actually have had reason to sue the place for false imprisonment and trespass to chattel. (Yes, I know that normally you would say she was free to leave any time so it is no false imprisonment, but there are courts now who accept the fact that a reasonable person would not want to leave without her IDs and therefore feel unfree to leave).

But what I would do is just forget this place and never go there again.

I would write the management a letter with dates and times. They may not be aware the bouncer at the door is doing this. Also, quote the law that NYClex mentioned if you can find it, about not being able to keep your ID. If the place is a franchise try and write the franchise people directly because their business name is getting a bad reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back