Is this corporate insurance fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nella1961

I worked at a company where a worker was injured as the result of inadequate equipment. Management knew about the hazard prior to the injury but had not resolved it. An employee was injured due to this inadequate equipment not being countermeasured. (It was only fixed, AFTER THE INJURY) Additionally, I was fired after I found out that the manager should have known about the hazard. (Actually, the hazard had been reported to management, in writing, approx. 10 days prior to the accident) My belief is that I was fired because I might reveal this information. Have any laws been violated such as filing this claim under worker's comp or firing me to potentially cover up the fact that the manager should have known?

I worked at a company where a worker was injured as the result of inadequate equipment. Management knew about the hazard prior to the injury but had not resolved it. An employee was injured due to this inadequate equipment not being countermeasured. (It was only fixed, AFTER THE INJURY) Additionally, I was fired after I found out that the manager should have known about the hazard. (Actually, the hazard had been reported to management, in writing, approx. 10 days prior to the accident) My belief is that I was fired because I might reveal this information. Have any laws been violated such as filing this claim under worker's comp or firing me to potentially cover up the fact that the manager should have known?

I don't know enough about your situation to determine of laws were violated.

From the information you've provided, I don't see where any laws were violated.

That doesn't mean they weren't, however.

What reason were you given for your termination?

Have you applied for Unemployment Insurance Benefits?

What I was told was that I was fired for "not showing a sense of urgency on getting the accident report turned in on time". However, the company expectation is having it done by the end of the shift, if possible, or within 24 hrs. It was completed and turned in on the same shift so I was within the expectation. The odd thing though, is that I was the only witness that knew the company had prior knowledge of the hazard. My termination was a complete surprise. The manager who fired me is the one who had been notified, in writing, of the hazard...lol. There are some additional facts that may be pertinent? The company had just paid a hefty fine ($78,500) and had a 1 willful and 2 serious violations found by OSHA during an investigation related to a death, less than a year earlier. Actually, I quickly found a better job (pay/benefits) w/ a more reputable company so I didn't need unemployment.

I'm pleased that things worked out in your benefit.

It just goes to show that the righteous are rewarded.

If I were you, I'd count my blessings and move on with my great life.

You wouldn't want any of this mess to splatter on you.

YES!. It couldn't have worked out better for me....I'm not involved, other than the accident happened on my shift and I subsequently found out that the problem was reported to him prior to the accident. It seems the worker's comp insurer might have an issue w/ this claim, given all the circumstances? In other words, I was fired 2 days after I found out about this.

Another question...What about the injured party? Assuming my manager's actions were, in fact, taken in an attempt to cover up the problem, is there an issue w/ him covering up his negligence? Does he have a negligence case?

Yes, the injured worker could have a very good case.

If you know him or her, put a bug in their ear about speaking to a personal injury attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back