is this a case for small claims court?

Sunbeemama

Jurisdiction
Washington
My renter voluntarily left the day the lease was up but left me with over $5000 in lost rent, removal of garbage and repairs for damages causes by obvious lease violations and willful damage (like pouring wax down the sink and on the carpet and forced entry ruining two doors). She is also threatening to sue me on many easily proven false charges. I do not want to lengthen my stress by filing a lawsuit but wonder if this might be a good case for small claims court which I understand is a one time face off. My question is this? If I show obviously confirmable damages for over $5000 but limit my claim to that amount and she loses who and how is she made to pay. What good is a win if I still have no way to get her to pay? Thank you!

What good is a win if I still have no way to get her to pay? Thank you!

These Washington State licensed lawyers tell you what, as a judgment holder, must be done in an ATTEMPT to get paid:

First of all, this way offers you a greater chance to collect a dime, because people such as this BUY your judgment from you.

There are many of these people, so be sure you vet the one you are considering:
We Buy Judgments - Washington State Court Judgments - Seattle Washington State Professional Debt Collection Firm - Judgment Recovery
There is always the traditional way to attempt to collect from a deadbeat.
This way requires you to do all the work, attempting to collect a couple of dollars.
WA Collecting the Judgment - Lawyers.com
How to Collect on a Judgment in Washington: Garnishments and Supplemental Proceedings - Pivotal Law Group - Seattle, Washington

If I show obviously confirmable damages for over $5000 but limit my claim to that amount and she loses who and how is she made to pay. What good is a win if I still have no way to get her to pay?

To answer the last question first, that's for you to decide, but it is a good question to contemplate. As far as how to collect if you win, the most common ways of enforcing civil money judgments against individuals are bank account levies and wage garnishments. You presumably have bank account information from when she paid rent, right? And you presumably have employment information that was current at the time she submitted a rental application, right? If so, that's more than some would-be plaintiffs have.

Back