Is there Alimony in Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsure

undefinedNeed some advice for now.Is there Alimony in Texas
and how does that work when spouse own's a business.I have not been able to
work in 8 years due to raising children,and illnesses,plus the fact that spouse refused
me to work. Business is very bad,due to the fact that instead of him working,he
was running around with another person.He stopped paying bills etc.for many
months.Three children involved,with home and land involved. What advice do you
have for this situtation. I do not want to make things worst for this situation,just
want to get back on my right track and get my life back. Please Advise.I am trying
so hard to find Work right now,but all my Skills have lapsed over the years. Been
married 16 years now,last work I had was in 1996.Thank You.Any help is appreciated.

First of all you need to be aware that alimony and child support are two totally independent issues. Generally non-custodial parents are required to pay child support until the children reach maturity. There are certain standard amounts the courts view as a base.

Alimony, however, the payments of one ex-spouse to the other, are viewed only as a temporary help by one spouse to get the other spouse on her own feet. Texas was very reluctant in granting alimony at all, the view in Texas is that each spouse after the divorce should be responsible for himself only.

Therefore there are very stringent conditions on alimony eligibility in Texas which are well explained on this website: http://www.raggiolaw.com/texlaw.htm

Generally the law favors the solution of the problem by an equitable distribution of property, or in other words, the law hopes that by sharing the welath the couple has accumulated until the divorce the needs of both spouses will be taken care of. Only if this distribution of the marital property clearly will not suffice to keep one spouse off the welfare rolls and she has real problems finding a way to earn money, the courts might grant alimony for a limited time, which is a maximum of 3 years.

The amount of alimony awarded will be the amount necessary to cover the spouse's "minimum needs" insofar they are not covered by the property she received upon the divorce. The statutory maximum is $ 2,500 per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back