Is there a chance ?

nijee428

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am 16 years old and I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. I will be 17 in 5 months. I have recently found out I am pregnant. My mother is trying to force me to get an abortion but that isn't what me or my boyfriend wants. My father has accepted the fact that I am having a baby. He even said I could come to live with him and so did my boyfriends parents. But my mom isn't going for that. She tells me how if I leave her I'll end up in the ghetto by myself broke and I can't come ask her for anything . My mother verbally abuses me. I am currently looking for employment. In order to keep my child alive I would need to be emancipated. Is there a chance I could be?

No, you will not be emancipated. But you do have the right to make your own medical decisions about continuing your pregnancy.

Based on what you posted, there is no way for you to get emancipated. However, you can make the medical decisions re your pregnancy.

I am 16 years old and I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. I will be 17 in 5 months. I have recently found out I am pregnant. My mother is trying to force me to get an abortion but that isn't what me or my boyfriend wants. My father has accepted the fact that I am having a baby. He even said I could come to live with him and so did my boyfriends parents. But my mom isn't going for that. She tells me how if I leave her I'll end up in the ghetto by myself broke and I can't come ask her for anything . My mother verbally abuses me. I am currently looking for employment. In order to keep my child alive I would need to be emancipated. Is there a chance I could be?

I suggest you start by discussing everything with an adult relative that you respect, and one that can get your mother and father to agree.

You should also seek counseling about all of this.

There are many options available to you.

SOME of those choices could cause you a lifetime of pain, grief, aggravation, and remorse.

Good luck.

There is no chance whatsoever that you will be emancipated, no. You've already proven that you need more adult supervision, not less.

However, no one can force you to have an abortion if you do not want to have one. The law will not emancipate you, but it will protect you from being forced to abort.

While you can not be forced to abort, your mother is not obligated to support your child. Once you are 18, she is also no longer obligated to support you. Your father is free to petition the court to gain custody of you if he wishes. No court is going to grant custody of you to the parents of the guy who got you pregnant. Not a chance. You don't say how old the father is or if he is able to support you both while you are in school and raising a baby. While it is possible for someone your age to make a relationship work long term and raise a child, it will not be easy and it will be even tougher if your parents are not supportive.

Back