Is their any legal way for me to access my minor son's bank records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianermal

In January of this year, I discovered that my minor son (16 then, 17 now) was cashing some of my checks in our joint Wells Fargo bank account. Deciding that he lacked the maturity required, I closed the account and transferred the remaining money into my personal account. He, of course, was furious and attempted to open an account at least twice more before succeeding in forging my name and establishing a checking account at a small local bank. Finding out, I closed that one as well.

But in February, he managed to open an account at a small state-chartered bank. He is the only person on the account, and coincidentally the bank refuses to allow me access. After reviewing my previous statements, I discovered that he has stolen over 1,000 dollars from me. I think it is time he owned up to his mistakes.

I was wondering, is their any way for me to access his accounts (short of pressing charges)? I know that he has several thousand on deposit, and refuses to pay me back.

Also, he opened a safe deposit box, any way into that?

He worked for the Forrest Service over the summer, saving (what I assume must be) every penny, less gas and auto insurance. He could have upwards of 6,000 dollars available.

Yes, I have previously asked the branch manager to freeze the account until he was either 18, or he added me to it. She obliged, but later rescinded her decision. I don't know why.

When I attempted to ask, she said something about 'the risk was low' (which was strange, seeing how she reacted when she found he was a minor) and my son brushed me off. And I don't just want access, I also want to know what he is planning on doing with several thousand dollars. Normally, I wouldn't care, but he is just so secretive about it.

i was 15 with several thousand dollars in my bank account. Honestly as long as he is a good kid and getting good grades it really doesnt concern you. now if he is stealing items of value.you need to document your assets and get insurance on them. as well as having your bank require personal check be confirmed ny phone before being approved. if this is mainly him wanting his privacy with his own money, i dont blame him. a little trust goes a long way.

When I attempted to ask, she said something about 'the risk was low' (which was strange, seeing how she reacted when she found he was a minor) and my son brushed me off. And I don't just want access, I also want to know what he is planning on doing with several thousand dollars. Normally, I wouldn't care, but he is just so secretive about it.

If he is a minor, everything he possesses is yours (as his parent).

Minors have no rights, except those that flow through their parents.

He has stolen from you allegedly.

This might be a latter for you to take to the police.

But, he's 17, and will soon be an adult.

If you're reluctant to report the matter to law enforcement, not much is going to happen.

You might just want to cut your losses, tread water until he's 18, and let him experience adulthood with his lousy $5,000.

In essence, when he becomes an adult (age 18), pull a mother piggy.

Pack a bag, show him the door, and wish him luck in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back