Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant IS NEWSPAPER ALLOWED TO PRINT YOUR FULL NAME & ADDRESS,including apt #, AFTER ARREST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

margaret79

Hi,

i was arrested & the local paper had printed a story of the arrest and in the article, it mentioned my full name & address, including the apartment number and zip code.

Since the article was printed, I am getting letters from convicted felons, who are due for release withint the next 2 months. Some of these felons have served 10+ years with no parole, are HIV+, and mention having relatoins upon their release. I am extremely creeped out and scared. I do not know who these people are, what they have been incarserated for and where they live. For all i know, they could be sex offenders, rapists, murderers, etc and could live in the same town as me or better yet in the same apartment complex.

All of the felons told me they received my name and full address from the newspapers and/or their the newspapers website.

Please advise if it is in fact legal for the media to print my full name and full address and if so what can i do about these letters that are scaring me? It is because of this I have been getting these letters which are frieghtening me.

I know usually newspapers will print something to the effect of:
Jane Doe, 25, of Brockton, MA OR
Jane Doe, 25, of Washington St, Brockton, MA

But in my case, the paper printed my info as:
Jane A Doe, 25, of 125 washington st, apartment # 1A, Brockton, MA 02131

Please advise/help. I am creeped out, nervous, and scared and dont know what to do about these letters.

The circumstances surrounding your arrest are matters of public record. I suggest you discuss your concerns with your the editor or publisher of your local newspaper.

You should also ignore all unwanted communications!

I honestly do not care the details of my arrest were made public. My issue is my exact address was made public.

I am 32, single, living alone and i have received several letters from men getting out of prison who want to have relations with me and who continue to write me. What is going to stop them from showing up at my house after they get out?

I understand the details of my arrest are public but to post someones full address, including apartment number is a safety issue. I do not feel safe in my own home anymore. There should be some sort of restrictions in place regarding publishing peoples entire home addresses.

I understand why you are upset at what happened, and I also understand why you say it is a safety issue. I don't blame you for being concerned.

However, to the best of my knowledge, your address is also considered to be public record, which means it is legal, even if unwise, to publish it.

I have an acquaintance who is quite knowledgeable on the issue of what is and is not permissible for newspapers to publish. I will ask him to review your thread and let you know what he says.

There aren't. I suggest AGAIN, contact the publisher or editor of the rag and express to him/her your sentiments.

These are technologically advanced times.
We are living in the information age.

Google your name, city, and state and be amazed at what you discover.

That is why I advise everyone not to disclose any information to anyone, if you value your privacy.

There is no remedy here for you.

Last edited:
Also, if the letters you received were threatening- and I mean there are specific and credible threats to commit a crime- then report the letters to the police.

If you are fearful that someone may come to your home, perhaps it is time for you to consider moving to a new location.

Thank you for your help.

I understand the public record concept, but, i feel as though the papers should have some type of resrtictions/limitations of the person info they publish as it does become a safety issue.

Any additional info your friend could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I actually have googled myself prior to the arrest and their were no google hits for me and now unfortuneately, there are now several google hits for me and they are all the same article from this one newspaper.

As I said, matters surrounding your arrest, including your address are now on the public record.

Contact the newspaper's editor or publisher and inquire of them. This is more a matter of their policy, not a legall issue.

I find it very wrong too, you can be arrested and charged with anything it does not mean you have done it. But that guys life is ruined, people will say ahhh he must have done something for sure, that's totally rubbish!! But arrest records, and related information, are public information :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back