Quiet Enjoyment is my landlord liable

Status
Not open for further replies.

je0823

There has been a tenant in my building who has continously harrassed everyone that lives in the building. She has been video taping, calling the police on non issues and has made several threats. The police have been called about her on several occasions and nothing has been done. There has been many complaints to the landlord and he has done nothing. Is he liable for her actions and if so what can I do?

There has been a tenant in my building who has continously harrassed everyone that lives in the building. She has been video taping, calling the police on non issues and has made several threats. The police have been called about her on several occasions and nothing has been done. There has been many complaints to the landlord and he has done nothing. Is he liable for her actions and if so what can I do?

Oh, yes, the landlord is liable for her excesses and abuses.
Your landlord is required to permit the quiet enjoyment of your homes.
You should start with a petition.

If you could get the other residents that are disturbed by this woman to sign a petition asking your landlord to advise her about her responsibilities as a tenant, one of those being to allow others the right to quiet enjoyment, free from harassment.

I suspect that if you gently and respectfully reminded your landlord of this woman's activities and behavior, he'd speak with her informally and this could be resolved.

I believe you should always try to settle troublesome situations voluntarily first.

If that doesn't work, you can always up the ante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back