Is my guest continually committing fraud?

Mason Hart

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hello,
Long story short, my parents and family decided to take a woman and her 7yr/old son in to help. We quickly discovered that this woman is a horrible person who has a history of theft, lying, and abusive behavior. This woman has more than 4 parts to her name (dont know the total amount or her full name). About a month ago, we started getting mail with all kinds of variations of her name as well as the last name of her son's deceased father. They were never married and she never took his name. Yesterday, she left a piece of mail out that had her son's social security number but with her name attempting to take out a loan.
We were told by a constable that because she is a guest (does not pay rent) she does not have and privacy and we are allowed to go through her room, as long as her belongings are not locked. She keeps a journal where she writes all kinds of weird crap. She has her son's name and social as well as her own.
We also recently found the DNS number, IP address, and Subnet mask. Im not entirely sure its true but i read that obtaining/having any network addresses that could lead to fraud is a crime.

She has been given an eviction notice but in my opinion thats not enough for her son to have a somewhat decent life if hes still under her care. CYS, the local Constable, and several other organizations are involved. She has a court hearing at the end of the month to determine if she is fit to keep full custody of her son.

What is our legal obligation here? How do we protect ourselves? And a worry that was recently brought to my attention by a friend, what if she falsely accuses me, my brothers, or my dad of sexually assaulting her?

Big problems, no solutions that don't hurt her son. What is my best option?

i have been staying away from my house. The problem is that we were told if she commits a crime in my home my whole family could be pulled into the mess for not reporting her.
She needed help. Moreover, her son need help. We care about him and absolutely hate her. If it wasnt for that boy she would have been either gone within the first month or arrested because i would have reported her.

What is our legal obligation here? How do we protect ourselves? And a worry that was recently brought to my attention by a friend, what if she falsely accuses me, my brothers, or my dad of sexually assaulting her?

You can't prevent her from lying on you or any other person.

You could stay away from the home until she has been evicted.

You have zero obligations to the woman or her spawn.

The life lesson here is NEVER allow anyone but your spouse and/or children to reside in your home.

Your home is your refuge NOT a flop house for deadbeats, mooches, layabouts, and ne'er do wells!

i have been staying away from my house. The problem is that we were told if she commits a crime in my home my whole family could be pulled into the mess for not reporting her.

That might be a possibility.

She needed help.

You and your people were under NO obligation to help her.

I have been approached by people begging for help.

My stock answer is sorry, I am NOT the Red Cross, the US government, an NGO, a priest, an Imam, a pastor, a rabbi, etc...

Your people CHOSE to help this deadbeat, whom you now believe to be a liar, a liar so foul that she MIGHT allege sexual assault to PAY you back for your kindness.

Saying NO will rarely get you trouble, while saying YES can cost you more than you might imagine.

We care about him and absolutely hate her

Choices have consequences, many unforseen consequences that could cost YOU far more than money.

If it wasnt for that boy she would have been either gone within the first month or arrested because i would have reported her.

A kind heart often ends up with a pain in the ass.

Please keep all of your discussion to this thread. The duplicates have been deleted.

You cannot prevent bad things from happening, you can only clean up the mess after they happen.

And you can't save anybody from what they or others do to them. In other words what happens to the woman and her son after she leaves your family's home is not your concern and certainly none of your business.

Your family has given her a deadline date to leave, hopefully in writing. If she doesn't leave by then, file eviction through the courts. If she gets violent or abusive or even threatening, take out a restraining order and the police will remove her from the home sooner.

Back