Is logging into your other boyfriends email account illegal if he gave you password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbowsky

(Sorry I mean't to say 'your boyfriends' not other as I was going to say 'your other half' but changed my mind but forgot to delete 'other')

Hello,

I was just wondering if it was illegal to log into the email account of your boyfriend if he gave you the password and checked his emails in front of you and you logged in at a different time?

I was just wondering if it was illegal to log into the email account of your boyfriend if he gave you the password and checked his emails in front of you and you logged in at a different time?
This is all fact specific. Technically if it was a one time access (e.g. "can you check something for me") it doesn't sound like permission was granted to give you permanent access. Could he find out? I don't know. Chances are he won't and that there is little he could do if you did... he either has nothing to hide, is overly trusting, or isn't on top of things.

OK, I looked at this for AR

Intentionally, purposefully -

Computer trespass, access with damage under $2500 but over $500, class A misdemeanor; access with no damage, class C misdemeanor; access as 2nd or subsequent violation with loss or damage under $500, class B misdemeanor; unlawful computerized communication, class A misdemeanor; computer fraud, class D felony

Taken from Computer Crime Laws.

Now if I logged into my boyfriends email account and didn't do anything, even though he has given me his password it would be a Class C misdemeanor?

Re: Is logging into your other boyfriends email account if he

It may not be illegal.

It may be legal.

It is wrong.

Would you want him doing that to you?

If you have your suspicions about his behavior, you're probably correct.

This isn't about some email account.

It is about integrity and fidelity.

If you're having those doubts, it's time for you to leave.

He's cheating and even if he isn't, you'll never believe anything else.

Make both of your lives easier, just walk away.

If you falsely accuse him, he'll hate you.

If you're right, you'll hate him.

Neither one of you can win, just say goodbye.

This one is over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, well I have asked two Lawyers about this and they said that by my boyfriend sitting next to me and telling me his email password as he went onto his account and opening up emails in front of me is giving me Implied Consent. Also by him giving me his email password his expectation of privacy would be pretty low with respect to emails. Despite this I am not going to be looking anymore even though he has given me implied consent.

Last edited:
Logging in to an account that you have the password to but no permission to enter is unethical but not illegal. If you don't trust him, leave him. Poking around in his email or account is childish and wrong. You won't go to jail but you will destroy any relationship you think you have.

OK, well I have asked two Lawyers about this and they said that by my boyfriend sitting next to me and telling me his email password as he went onto his account and opening up emails in front of me is giving me Implied Consent. Also by him giving me his email password his expectation of privacy would be pretty low with respect to emails. Despite this I am not going to be looking anymore even though he has given me implied consent.
I don't know exactly what the lawyers told you but that is just an argument that a lawyer might make if you were caught. As I said, if the circumstance was clearly a one time issue, e.g. emergency, then making such an argument becomes a much weaker defense. Army Judge raises some excellent points about this issue being more about integrity and your relationship than about the law, which probably won't come into play.

I don't know exactly what the lawyers told you but that is just an argument that a lawyer might make if you were caught. As I said, if the circumstance was clearly a one time issue, e.g. emergency, then making such an argument becomes a much weaker defense. Army Judge raises some excellent points about this issue being more about integrity and your relationship than about the law, which probably won't come into play.

Yeahh I guess I just did it because I wondered if he was telling me the truth about what his password was and logged in and then straight out again, didn't do anything in his account. I know I shouldn't have done that.
I wonder how many people have been put in jail for doing what I did? I don't want to goto jail for that, I am so sorry. I would hate jail, I haven't been able to eat or sleep since, I really don't want to goto jail.

Last edited:
Re: Is logging into your other boyfriends email account illegal if he gave

rainbowsky said:
Yeahh I guess I just did it because I wondered if he was telling me the truth about what his password was and logged in and then straight out again, didn't do anything in his account. I know I shouldn't have done that.
I wonder how many people have been put in jail for doing what I did? I don't want to goto jail for that, I am so sorry. I would hate jail, I haven't been able to eat or sleep since, I really don't want to goto jail.

You are worrying about the wrong thing.

Most likely, you won't be going to jail.

If he finds out, you won't have a relationship.

But, you think he's cheating and lying.

You're probably right, and your split might do both of you a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See Army Judge's response.

Nobody I know wastes time prosecuting a technicality when there is no financial harm, the case is questionable and there are much bigger fish that need to be fried. You know why you did what you did. Think of that and what it means to your relationship. The law is probably not in issue here as much as is the personal issues.

How many people do you know of that have logged into their loved ones email account after they gave you their password and have gone to jail? I am so worried.

How many people do you know of that have logged into their loved ones email account after they gave you their password and have gone to jail? I am so worried.

None.
I don't know people that have relationships not founded on trust.
Let it go, just let it go.
Or, if this bothers you that much, go turn yourself into the nearest police station.
Beg them to arrest you for doing, nothing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back