Is it unconstitutional for a cop to arrest you because you say he's not doing a good job

I was told that I can't verbally assault a police officer and proceeded to arrest me when I explained to him I was stating my opinion from watching his actions.

I was told that I can't verbally assault a police officer and proceeded to arrest me when I explained to him I was stating my opinion from watching his actions.

Well, if you were arrested, you defend your actions before a judge or jury.

Good luck with that, bro.

It's never a smart play to wise off with cops.

As you've discovered, you can end up being arrested.

Is it a violation of my Constitutional rights because of the freedom of speech

Depends.

What was the officer doing just before you rendered your opinion? And what were you doing? And what was everybody else doing? Why was the officer and you in proximity in the first place?

See, there are a lot of missing details to your story which could easily explain the validity of the arrest, or give you a defense to it.

Depends.

What was the officer doing just before you rendered your opinion? And what were you doing? And what was everybody else doing? Why was the officer and you in proximity in the first place?

See, there are a lot of missing details to your story which could easily explain the validity of the arrest, or give you a defense to it.
I was walking to the store when I overheard someone talking in an elevated voice across the street and that was when I saw an officer telling a homeless person that he was worthless and not to come in that area of town. After the officer let the person go and he was walking back to his cruiser about 3 yards from me I made the comment that he didn't do a good job in that encounter in my eyes because I believe there was disrespect shown sir. Then he proceeded to come over and proceed to tell me that I couldn't verbally abuse officers and arrested me

I was walking to the store when I overheard someone talking in an elevated voice across the street and that was when I saw an officer telling a homeless person that he was worthless and not to come in that area of town. After the officer let the person go and he was walking back to his cruiser about 3 yards from me I made the comment that he didn't do a good job in that encounter in my eyes because I believe there was disrespect shown sir. Then he proceeded to come over and proceed to tell me that I couldn't verbally abuse officers and arrested me

One thing is certain, you won't be able to litigate the matter on this forum.

When you appear in court, the prosecutor might decide to nolle prosse (dismiss) your case.

In the meantime, you're free to talk to a couple lawyers.

As far as what can't be done, and what is done, read the papers, watch TV news, son; the stories you'll learn about tend to involve something that shouldn't have been done.

Good luck.

I suggest you AVOID yapping about constitutional rights in ANY low level court. Those judges don't know (or don't care) about constitutional rights anymore than a statue of some political figure in front of your local courthouse.

Those low level courts are revenue streams, collecting money for the lowest level offenses. That's not the place to start spouting off about your constitutional rights mate, take my word for that. Of course, you're free to spout off before the judge, like you did before the cop.

Rule number one about criminal justice: Don't start nothing with any cop in the street,just "yes sir", "no sir", "sorry sir", etc...

The court room, is where people discuss, debate, and deliberate ideas.

Thank you for the advice. And when I go to court I'll let my attorney do the talking since he knows more about the way court procedures operate

Back