Is it posibble to get the money back?

tjackson85714

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Recently I was tricked into a check scam. I applied to a job online. A person supposedly representing the company hired me and sent me a check($1950.00) claiming that I am to buy software that I would be using for the job. I deposited the check into my account and once the funds were available, withdrew the cash and deposited it into the software retailer's Wells Fargo account; those were the instructions. Once I realized it was a scam I went back to Wells Fargo and had the account froze; the funds were still there. A Wells Fargo employee told me the only way I can get the money back is through the police. I filed a police report, and the police told me they couldn't get the money back from the account either. It seems my only option is to take Wells Fargo to court.
I have all the evidence(bank slips, emails, etc) to prove my story. Do I have a legit case? Is there another way?

It's unclear which account your are trying to get money from. If you are referring to the cash that you deposited into the "software retailer's Wells Fargo account" then I really don't think you have a prayer. If the check that you deposited into your account was returned as a fraudulent item then you would pursue reimbursement from that angle. If the issuer of the check was out of country, you are probably out of options. Perhaps your best bet for free advice would be your local Better Business Bureau.

Recently I was tricked into a check scam. I applied to a job online. A person supposedly representing the company hired me and sent me a check($1950.00) claiming that I am to buy software that I would be using for the job. I deposited the check into my account and once the funds were available, withdrew the cash and deposited it into the software retailer's Wells Fargo account; those were the instructions. Once I realized it was a scam I went back to Wells Fargo and had the account froze; the funds were still there. A Wells Fargo employee told me the only way I can get the money back is through the police. I filed a police report, and the police told me they couldn't get the money back from the account either. It seems my only option is to take Wells Fargo to court.
I have all the evidence(bank slips, emails, etc) to prove my story. Do I have a legit case? Is there another way?

Most likely you were scammed.
These thugs operate well outside of the reach of US authorities in third world countries.
The money you deposited wasn't real.
The accounts are faked, or don't have enough funds in them for you to recover anything.

You probably owe your bank two grand or more.

You might try to have your bank contact Wells Fargo, but I doubt that will help you.
The scammer has most likely absconded with YOUR money.

You have no one to pursue, unless you find some conman in some African or Asian city using some coffeehouse to cheat unsuspecting first worlders.
Your scammer is probably laughing at you, while spending your money to pursue another sucker.

Back