Purchase & Sale Is it legal to develop n64 games using the official SDK that Nintendo gives out?

Ryan Hall

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
Disclaimer:
Nothing has happened, I was just wondering what would happen in the case that I made and distributed a game with the Nintendo 64 SDK.

Hello, I was looking to develop a game for a school project. I am really in to computer programming, and have been doing it for the last few years.

I came across a forum that said that they were setting up the Nintendo 64 SDK on a video on Youtube.

Known facts about the SDK:
It has to have a license.
Somebody bought a computer from an ex-Nintendo developer that had the SDK on the computer, so he put it (leaked it) on his website.
Silicon Graphics helped program the SDK (They are no longer an existent company).
The software is not supported anymore. (It has become abandonware).

I am not using the code from an already commercialized game. I am making my own from scratch utilizing the SDK and it's functions.

Would I get in trouble for this?

-Ryan

Would I get in trouble for this?

Trouble is a relative term.

There are sheep, and there are those who fleece sheep, simply taking their beautiful wool.

There are also those who devour the entire sheep, including the putrefying carcass of the slaughtered (as opposed to fleeced) sheep.

There are many innocent appearing traps in this world.

Be careful laddie or lassie, the world can be a very dangerous place.

Trouble is a relative term.

There are sheep, and there are those who fleece sheep, simply taking their beautiful wool.

There are also those who devour the entire sheep, including the putrefying carcass of the slaughtered (as opposed to fleeced) sheep.

There are many innocent appearing traps in this world.

Be careful laddie or lassie, the world can be a very dangerous place.

I was just meaning if I would get sued for a couple million dollars and put in jail for 25 - 50 years....

I thought they could still jail me for using that software?

Anything is possible in the United States of America, even jail time or prison, but if you were charged criminally and convicted; you'd probably just get probation.

But, what the heck do I know, huh?

No one listens to me, not even my imaginary dog, Mr. K9, or my imaginary horsie, Mr. Speedy.

Truthfully boss, ever since my "accident" I fall down a lot, and forget stuff, like my name.

Back