Is it illegal to post/publish realistic drawing/artwork of my ex-girlfriend?

Certainly traditionally, but I am not so sure about typically today. I know a number of commercial artists who do drawings, and nearly all use the computer now for their drawings. It simply offers a lot more power and flexibility than they could ever get with paper or canvas. There are still some who use the traditional media, sure, but that may end up largely dying out like use of real film has for photography. (And I hate that they took my Kodachrome away. :() It just may take longer for that to happen.

My implied point, which was perhaps too subtle, is that photography and drawing are have both moved to the computer age and as a result there is less distinction between them than there once was. Digital drawings can look so realistic that they look like photographs, and photographs can be digitally processed to look like drawings or paintings.

And that's part of what may increase the risk for our OP, especially if his girlfriend was/is under age 18 and the images he wishes to distribute of her are nude images or sexual in nature.

Back