Is it illegal in California for a father and his adult daughter to live in a large studio?

K

kj23

Jurisdiction
California
I am a 22 female and I recently moved back to Los Angeles, CA. My dad has been living here for years so he's had a large studio to himself which contains a larger than usual living room, a large kitchen and dining area and 1 bathroom.
My dad is not interested in adding to his expense by moving out and finding a 1 bedroom apt so he can sleep in the living room or a 2 bedroom apartment. We have been looking for places but I've been here for over a month now and today he confessed to me that HE'S happy the way he's living and when I asked did you even have any intention on moving and he said only like 60% and I was shocked and said what about me?????? I'm avoiding so many things because I don't have my own room. He starts making a fuss about expense. At this point I feel he will keep putting it off until June which is when I will leave LA for the summer, then my brother will arrive in September and thats when we will move again, so that's why he wants to save money for now because there will be more expense when my brother comes.

Long story short, I want to know if there is such a law against father and adult daughter living and sleeping in the same room because if worst comes to worst and he refuses to move then I will want to call someone to inspect our household.
If this will happen, is there anyway that they won't tell him that I called on him?

Don't even tell me to move out on my own; I would love to and have a lot of money saved from work but my parents would never agree to it so I'm waiting for another year till I'm done with my agree so please don't bring this up as its not an option right now.

No, the law takes zero interest in where and with whom people sleep.

There is no agency that will inconvenience or sully your father's name because he's allowed you to live in his home.

You don't have to sleep in the bedroom, you can sleep in the living room.

We regularly receive the ubiquitous question "can siblings sleep in the same room"?
Today the bar was lowered.
We received "can an adult child sleep in the same bed with a parent"?
The only assault on poverty should be to eliminate it.
Some people are poor, others are frugal, the answer remains, thank God the law doesn't try to govern every aspect of human life.
My goodness, what a nightmare that would be, wouldn't it?

"My dad is not interested in adding to his expense by moving out and finding a 1 bedroom apt so he can sleep in the living room"
I don't think this one is even about poverty. Dad is probably hoping his adult child will find her own place soon. He's perfectly fine with a studio and she won't even be there for the summer. But he's supposed to spend more for a bigger place so HE can sleep in the living room?

"My dad is not interested in adding to his expense by moving out and finding a 1 bedroom apt so he can sleep in the living room"
I don't think this one is even about poverty. Dad is probably hoping his adult child will find her own place soon. He's perfectly fine with a studio and she won't even be there for the summer. But he's supposed to spend more for a bigger place so HE can sleep in the living room?

No, this one is not about poverty, mate.
Its about unappreciative, greedy, little parasites masquerading as offspring.
As my mother once told one of my siblings, "My wish for you is a child that behaves as you have behaved."
Mother's wish came true three times over.

Today the bar was lowered.
We received "can an adult child sleep in the same bed with a parent"?

Well, technically we only received, Can an adult child sleep in the same ROOM with a parent.

Parents and children share rooms and even beds every day in homes all across America. It is not even remotely illegal. You are both adults. If either of you is unhappy with your living arrangement, you may change it. That means Dad can evict you, or you may move out even without his permission. Expecting your father to move to accommodate your short term need for a place to stay is unreasonable.

You are an adult. Your father has no legal obligation to provide you with a place to stay at all, much less provide you with your own room in his place.
you misunderstood, id be more than happy to live on my own. my parents wont let me live on my own.

you really need to reread what i wrote, especially the last three lines. i have enough money to support myself and live on my own, my parents dont want me to live on my own because im a non married woman (they're very conservative). ive brought it up many times that i can move out and live on my and spend on myself but they wont agree.
so if im forced to live with him, how is it wrong to expect to have my own room?

No, this one is not about poverty, mate.
Its about unappreciative, greedy, little parasites masquerading as offspring.
As my mother once told one of my siblings, "My wish for you is a child that behaves as you have behaved."
Mother's wish came true three times over.
how am i unappreciative and greedy? my mother and siblings are all pushing for him to move so we can each have our own privacy, either a one bed room or two. i am more than happy to live on my own, read the last three lines of my post; i have enough to support myself. but i come from a very conservative family that an unmarried woman shouldn't live on her own.
im not being greedy, i havent lived with my father in 8 years and i want to be able to wax, wear shorts, have friends sleepover. i dont understand how hats something wrong.

Parents and children share rooms and even beds every day in homes all across America. It is not even remotely illegal. You are both adults. If either of you is unhappy with your living arrangement, you may change it. That means Dad can evict you, or you may move out even without his permission. Expecting your father to move to accommodate your short term need for a place to stay is unreasonable.

how is it unreasonable? hes my father by blood, he hasnt lived with any of my family members since over 8 years. i cant change freely, wax, wear short house clothes, talk on the phone privately, skype privately or have any friends over to talk or to sleepover. im forced to live with him coz my family is conservative and an unmarried woman cant live on her own, otherwise i have enough money to support myself and live on my own. i cant move out even though the law says i could, he would track me down and probably beat me till i bleed so i never do that again.
hes also very negative, stressful and even though im an A student its never enough; he'll always call me out on something and put me down. we need a bit of our own privacy; i dont understand how this is surprising.

how am i unappreciative and greedy? my mother and siblings are all pushing for him to move so we can each have our own privacy, either a one bed room or two. i am more than happy to live on my own, read the last three lines of my post; i have enough to support myself. but i come from a very conservative family that an unmarried woman shouldn't live on her own.
im not being greedy, i havent lived with my father in 8 years and i want to be able to wax, wear shorts, have friends sleepover. i dont understand how hats something wrong.

No adult (even if the adult is their parent) can force another adult to do anything in this country.

You're not just an 18 year old adult, you're a 21 year old PLUS adult.

You can leave where you are this morning without explanation, because you're an adult.
You're of sound mind and body, you have funds, so just leave already.
If you CHOOSE to stay, or allow someone (even your parents) to BULLY you into staying, that's your call.

Good luck, choose wisely, or allow others to choose for you, it's of no moment, import, or consequence to me.

As the father of adult children and grandchildren, I offer my opinion about their personal lives only when asked. I'm not bragging, just stating parents do their adult offspring a grave injustice by dictating to them.

You do not need their permission. At 22, all you need to do is pack your things and move out. They can "forbid" it all they want to, but unless you are physically/emotionally disabled AND a court has made them your guardians, they cannot do a single thing to stop you from leaving if you want to leave.

I understand your desire for your own private space. However, there is no legal requirement for your Dad to provide such once you turn 18. Housing is expensive. Maybe Dad just can't afford it. What makes you come across as unreasonable is that if Dad did put up the extra money for a larger space, you expect him to sleep in the living room. There is no law that is going to force your Dad to provide you with a private sleeping space. You accept what he is willing to provide or you provide for yourself.

Legally they can not stop you from moving out, nor can they beat you or drag you back to live with them no matter how conservative they are. Conversely, you can not insist they provide you with a living space at all, let alone one that is to your liking. You aren't going to be able to use the law to make them do as you want. Even if you were under 18, you could not demand your own room.

i cant move out even though the law says i could, he would track me down and probably beat me till i bleed so i never do that again.

For which he can be arrested and jailed.

You have 2 choices - stay & accept living arrangements as they are or move out. Sorry.

Back