Is It Illegal For A Business Owner To Have Multiple Forum Accounts?

Jurisdiction
Georgia
This question is being asked because of something a friend of mine has done that I am unsure whether or not it is illegal. I am an affiliate marketer, and I am part of a group for online business owners to discuss strategies. Anyways, in private discussions with a friend of mine from the group after the meeting, he told me about a "strategy" that he uses in his business. He has multiple accounts on a forum that he uses for promotional purposes. The accounts (which are all him) are positive members of the online community (not trolls or otherwise disruptive) and they are not negative towards other business owners. If anyone mentions another business, the accounts are simply neutral or even positive on occasion.

He has said that it is not illegal, but when I did research on the subject myself I found conflicting things. Some have said that it's perfectly legal but simply that some people feel it is unethical and could result in a forum banning an individual who has multiple forum accounts. However, there were other reports of business owners being fined or sued. But this was in connection to "damages". His multiple accounts are not damaging anyone, they are spreading positive information. As with myself, he is an owner of a small business online (e.g. not a significant competitor to any major corporations).

Also, he does not use the accounts to post fake reviews as people who have used any products. He simply speaks of his website as an "interesting site that he found" or "something to check out" to other members of forums.

Last edited:
de minimis non curat lex: the law does not govern trifles or the law ignores insignificant details.

Not illegal, but might be against forum rules or possibly considered unethical if he was using it to his benefit (bad reviews of others, great reviews of his own business for example). But you are saying he isn't currently doing that. Sounds strange and I would watch to see if it ever goes that way. Otherwise, it is insignificant like armyjudge says.

Back