Is it common for spay/neuter clinics to burn animals with oxygen/gas and sparks that "just happen"?

Adrian1972

Jurisdiction
Texas
My wife took our kittens to a spay/neuter clinic and paid to fix. A few hours later the VP of operations messaged my wife and said they need to talk. She explained that there was a freak accident, and while they were cauterizing one of the kittens ears they also applied a gas/oxygen mix via a mask and it started a fire. She told my wife that the whiskers were a little singed and some fur too, but that she was okay. She added that we may or may not want to follow up with our vet but it didn't need to happen immediately. When my wife saw our kitten, her face was completely burned up. She rushed the kitten to a veterinarian and they said this was not normal and that we need to report the clinic. I don't know who to report them to. I called the VP since I had her text from my wife's phone... she said I can Google it, that it just happens. She made it sound like I was overreacting and it's no big deal. Our vet is concerned that the kitten might not even be able to see anymore, but since this just happened today it's too early to tell. What do I do?

My wife took our kittens to a spay/neuter clinic and paid to fix. A few hours later the VP of operations messaged my wife and said they need to talk. She explained that there was a freak accident, and while they were cauterizing one of the kittens ears they also applied a gas/oxygen mix via a mask and it started a fire. She told my wife that the whiskers were a little singed and some fur too, but that she was okay. She added that we may or may not want to follow up with our vet but it didn't need to happen immediately. When my wife saw our kitten, her face was completely burned up. She rushed the kitten to a veterinarian and they said this was not normal and that we need to report the clinic. I don't know who to report them to. I called the VP since I had her text from my wife's phone... she said I can Google it, that it just happens. She made it sound like I was overreacting and it's no big deal. Our vet is concerned that the kitten might not even be able to see anymore, but since this just happened today it's too early to tell. What do I do?

Complaints

My wife took our kittens to a spay/neuter clinic and paid to fix. A few hours later the VP of operations messaged my wife and said they need to talk. She explained that there was a freak accident, and while they were cauterizing one of the kittens ears they also applied a gas/oxygen mix via a mask and it started a fire.

Why was a spay/neuter clinic cropping your kitten's ears?

Is it common for spay/neuter clinics to burn animals with oxygen/gas

This seems like an awfully strange question given that "the VP of operations . . . [described what happened as] a freak accident."

She rushed the kitten to a veterinarian and they said this was not normal and that we need to report the clinic. I don't know who to report them to.

Well...if someone suggested to me that I "need to report the clinic," the first thing I'd say in response would be, "report the clinic to whom?"

What do I do?

Well...if this were a human, you could sue for negligence and recover damages for medical bills, lost wages and "pain and suffering." If you've incurred vet bills as a result of this, you could sue for that (presumably in small claims court), but there's obviously no lost wages or "pain and suffering" with an animal.

Back