Is eBay charging a fee on shipping charge legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensharkey

Recently eBay began charging a fee on shipping charges to sellers. Personally I have done business on eBay for about 10 years and until mid August they charged a selling fee only on the final sales price of the item or service you sole. As a store owner they charged me a 12% fee on top of the store listing fee and the monthly cost of the store itself. They announced the fee was coming but made it sound as if the final sales price fee would be lowered to a reasonable rate. I had expected an increase. What that reasonable rate turned out to be is 11% on the final sales price and shipping price. So if I had sold a $10 item before mid August the eBay selling fee was $1.20, even with a $10 shipping charge. That same combined final selling price of $20 now has a $2.20 eBay selling fee. I'm wondering if eBay has a right to charge that extra fee on something that they and the seller have very little control over and is a service charged by a third party. Is it legal for eBay to charge a fee on the shipping charge?

Yeap. Nothing at all stopping eBay from doing that.

Your recourse would be (if you're not happy) to not use eBay.

Yeap. Nothing at all stopping eBay from doing that.

Your recourse would be (if you're not happy) to not use eBay.

True, Proserpina.

The OP could also create his/her own site and compete with e-Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back