Is CUNY Law School a legitimate, accredited school?

jalito

Jurisdiction
New York
CUNY School of Law was very poorly rated (at the bottom) when I took the LSAT and never considered it. I heard CUNY was making efforts to improve its reputation. Recent events make me wonder whether the CUNY School of Law should even be accredited, especially if the law school administration is acting as an advocate and supporting targeted political speech that at least borders on hate speech and bigotry. I'm completely flabbergasted at just some of what I found, which would likely repel students based on their race, religion, sexual preference and more.

On May 13, 2022, the law school day student commencement was given by a Nerdeen Kiswani, who immediately launched into anti-Israel rant, which I couldn't imagine any legitimate law school permitting. That months earlier their CUNY law school student body passed an academic boycott of Israel and the administration had Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor speak too, they might as well have just held a pro-Palestinian anti-Israel rally right at the law school.

Ms. Kiswani speaks of "Zionist harassment" and then into the student body "fighting for justice Black, LatinX, indigenous, Palestinian liberation and for the freedom of all people living under colonial domination, imperialism and White supremacist structures around the world and here in the U.S." The law school administration must have known exactly what was coming , especially from someone who believes she's above the law, with their slogan being to accomplish their goals "by any means necessary."

I'm looking at CUNY's Twitter feed now. "We join the grassroots the movement to remove barriers designed to exclude those who do not reaffirm the white carceral status quo. " To me, this has leapt far beyond the boundaries of decency and the safe space educators promise to provide in any school. And is the CUNY School of Law now officially blaming "white" people for problems with our prison system?

is the CUNY School of Law now officially blaming "white" people for problems with our prison system?

A Law School

How much would a "Law School" say IF a "Law School" would talk?

If a "Law School" could TALK back

A "Law School" would talk, IT would, as much as IT could,

and TALK as much SMACK as a "Law School" would

if a "Law School" could TALK back.

I appreciate and respect the earlier concern. However, I have reopened this thread seeing that this issue concerning CUNY School of Law is appearing repeatly in many New York City publications and is a legitimate discussion topic related to law and the legal system here in the U.S. For anyone participating, let's please keep it amicable and respectful. Relevant coverage May and June, 2022, along with a search for details, without opinion. Interesting that there is also a call to boycott LexisNexis and Westlaw as well.
Topics and documents reflected in and related to the articles:
The following is a short excerpt of the BDS Resolution passed at CUNY Law School , which is contained a CUNY Law BDS Resolution Fact Sheet and is likely among the most discussed / disputed demands and assertions of fact:
  • "This resolution calls on CUNY to cut all ties with institutions and organizations, and divest from corporations, that are complicit in Israel's crimes against the Palestinian people."
  • "Israel systematically engages in racist human rights atrocities against Palestinians."
  • "Despite a stated institutional commitment to social justice, CUNY continues to be complicit in Israel's crimes against the Palestinian people."
The CUNY Law Activism Archive on Medium contains numerous demands and positions, in addition to (as part of its BDS Resolution to boycott Israel) , boycotting LexisNexus (and elsewhere boycotting Thomson Reuters' WestLaw and RELX PLC) as a result of contracts with the Department of Homeland Security / ICE to provide service, among other items that may be of interest.

As to the law school and the student body itself, the CUNY Law Student Demands included the following argument, which I have not heard before:

"Commit to making CUNY Law an LSAT-optional institution and retiring any policies that ask Admissions to make their decisions based on a desired median LSAT score. According to LSAC's own research, women test-takers, African American test-takers, and Puerto Rican test-takers score lower on the LSAT, creating a disparate impact on legal education and the legal profession as a whole. Just 5% of lawyers are Black, which is in part due to the anti-Blackness baked into the LSAT and its use as a factor in determining whether Black applicants will be successful in law school."

Back