Is a stop where marijuana is found probable cause for future warrants or searches during a future

• Thread Starter Idiot passenger
  • Start date
I

Idiot passenger

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Is a prior stop, where consent was given by the driver to search her possessions, and marijuana was found, probable cause for future searches during traffic violation stops, or warrants for searches of the home of either the passenger or the vehicle owner?

I was the passenger in a vehicle traveling from Colorado to Virginia, the driver saw signs for a drug checkpoint (which she was unaware was fake, as drug checkpoints have been ruled to be unconstitutional) and panicked, quickly exiting the highway. When exiting, she failed to signal twice and was pulled over. Knowing full well she has drugs in the car, she lied to the officers of the DTF and the consented to a search. I, a minor in the vehicle at the time, received no citation, and the driver received a warning. Is this interaction probable cause for my vehicle (the minor) to be searched for drugs during a future traffic stop? Or possibly for the police to show up at my home with a search warrant based on the stop. I made no admission of guilt and was not cited, however my ID was held for the duration of the stop and I a sure my name is in the report. My freshmen year of high school I allegedly stole more the 250.00 of merchandise from Walmart with a friend, and was given a ticket for marijuana possession under one ounce. (It is decriminalized in my home state). The court granted a countinuance without a finding, and no admission of guilt was given.

Any information is greatly appreciated

Is this interaction probable cause for my vehicle (the minor) to be searched for drugs during a future traffic stop?

As a practical matter, probably not. Since you weren't cited, your name isn't likely to appear for this incident. Even if it does, the police will still need probable cause for a search and this incident will not be it.

Or possibly for the police to show up at my home with a search warrant based on the stop.

No.

my ID was held for the duration of the stop and I a sure my name is in the report. My freshmen year of high school I allegedly stole more the 250.00 of merchandise from Walmart with a friend, and was given a ticket for marijuana possession under one ounce. (It is decriminalized in my home state). The court granted a countinuance without a finding, and no admission of guilt was given.

If you are paranoid that your past criminal acts and your current association with criminals is going to give you trouble in the future then I suggest you stop committing criminal acts (that you skated doesn't mean you didn't commit them) and stop hanging around with criminals. People who drive around with drugs in their cars are criminals. Improve your standards for picking friends and you won't have to worry about the police.

Back