IRS Rejected My Proposed Payment Plan; How Do I Negotiate?

randomacts

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi there: I owe back taxes; I submitted the proper financial forms to the IRS and proposed a monthly installment payment amount, which they rejected (in their letter, they claim I can pay twice the proposed amount -- which I guess I can as long I don't eat, commute to work, etc.). Any advice on how to successfully negotiate the amount? Do I call them or do it in writing? Thanks in advance!

Review any documents you receive for information about any right to appeal. If you do not agree with a decision made by the IRS you may be able to get a hearing in tax court. If you file an appeal it will temporarily stop any collection effort.

The letter doesn't mention how to appeal, just "Call us at the number below within 30 days from the date of this notice if you disagree with the higher amount." Is it more effective to call and negotiate? Or should I submit Form 9423 (Collection Appeal Request)?

Did you read the instructions on the form?

"How to Appeal An Installment Agreement Which Has Been Rejected, Proposed for Modification or Modified, or Proposed for
Termination or Terminated
1. If you disagree with the decision regarding your installment agreement, you should appeal by completing a Form 9423, Collection
Appeal Request.
2. You should provide it to the office or revenue officer who took the action regarding your installment agreement, within 30 calendar
days.
NOTE: A managerial conference is not required. However, it is strongly recommended a conference be held with the manager
whenever possible."

It's up to you whether you want to appeal in writing or ask for a managerial conference but, either way, I suggest you provide strong financial documentation (not just sayso) of your ability to pay.

I would also suggest you attach a check for as much money as you can dig up because talking about paying is not paying, paying is paying.

If you earn $1,000 per week, the IRS could levy ABOUT $587.00 of it, and if you earn $2,000 per week the IRS could confiscate almost $1,600.00.

The amount of your garnishment will depend on the precise amount of back taxes you are ALLEGED to owe.

If you own (translation are BUYING) a home, a lien has already bene placed against the home.

I'm sure you've heard of the companies claiming to negotiate a better settlement than you can get for yourself.

Time to research five to eight of them, and retain one to do this for you, mate.

If you delay any longer, it'll be too late.

Why?

Eventually an IRS levy will permit the legal seizure of your property to satisfy your tax debt.

An IRS levy can garnish wages, empty your bank accounts, other financial accounts, seize and sell your vehicle(s) [rarely happens if you have liens against them by the lender], real estate, and most other VALUABLE personal property.

A little more motivation to seek professional assitance:
Information About Wage Levies

Back