Consumer Law, Warranties Iowa Mobile home park owner regulating water rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamina

Our water bill comes to each Iowa mobile home owner monthly and sent from the "(park name) Utilities". I have called city hall and was told the court is not contracting with the city for water. I then called the company who installed the water meters and was informed that they do not have control over the prices or rate per gallon. The residents here do not know where their water comes from. I was told by the manager it is a company in another county but no name given.

Since then, I have noted our water bills to have increases every month in our water rates. This would be controlled by the park owner. Is this legal for him to do this in the state of Iowa. Also, aren't we, as residents, entitled to know where our water comes from and the reports?

Thank you, in advance.

Sincerely,

Slamina

I suggest you discuss this with a lawyer or your local elected city or county leaders.

Unless you obtain governmental backing, nothing will change. A lawyer might be able to assist your community, or your governmental officials.

You can also seek guidance from your state attorney general.

Sometimes, parks are granted leave to receive one utility meter and bill residents. It is easier for the utility because they are not constantly chasing deadbeats. The park management can include any unpaid amounts into billing for other residents.

It doesn't seem fair to bill other residents due to the court taking a loss on a deadbeat. I realize not everything is fair but this would be unethical I would think. It is the duty of the park owner to maintain the mobil;e home lots which is not done here. Therefore, giving (deadbeats?) reason to leave. I'm not sure I believe this could be transferred to the other people as you say.
Sometimes, parks are granted leave to receive one utility meter and bill residents. It is easier for the utility because they are not constantly chasing deadbeats. The park management can include any unpaid amounts into billing for other residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back