Investigated by DCF

Jpaulson

Jurisdiction
Florida
I'm currently being investigated by DCF. They came to my house and said they received a report that my son recently was burned by a cigarette he tried to pick up that Grandma dropped. My mother does smoke, but my mother has never dropped a cigarette, nor has my son ever picked up a cigarette, and he's never been burned by a cigarette. He's never had a burn. She said we also smoke around him and that he's allergic to smoke. My son isn't allergic to smoke, but regardless their not happy. I let her check my son for burns and any other possible injuries. My son of course didn't have any burns, bruises, bumps, or even a scratch on him. She demanded to speak with all members of my household separately including my son. We all told her the same thing he was never burned in any way ever and that no he isn't allergic. But they won't leave me alone. They keep showing up. They want everyone in my household to take drug and alcohol test and assessments. Probably since my mother admitted she takes pain relievers for her back. She had surgery that required 14 levels. It was from just below her neck to her buttocks. She told them because they asked if she was on any medications. She has like a hunch back now and is permanently disabled its very clear she's disabled. They said they needed to inspect my home. They came back demanded my son's doctors name, where he went to school, his medical info, his biological fathers info (despite the fact he doesn't know about my son, he was convicted of sexual abuse of a minor while I was pregnant). The victim was his son he had with his ex-wife. Regardless DCF wanted his info and said they would be back.I don't want them to keep coming back they told my son what they do the first time he woke up that night with a panic attack. The second time he would only sleep in my room. How do I stop them from coming back?

It seems you have an overzealous worker on your case. However they do hold the cards in this. You are free to refuse their request but if they wish they could take more serious actions like removal of children. You might be best served complying with
"reasonable" request but you also might talk to worker supervisor in case this worker has overstepped their boundaries and authority. Document everything done, said and requested and who was present at time along with findings.

However they do hold the cards in this.

False. If they had any power to do anything they would take that action to protect the child rather than come and request compliance. The parent is the one in control, and saying no to the DCF request is their right.

You are free to refuse their request but if they wish they could take more serious actions like removal of children.

False. DCF would have to present enough information to a judge to obtain authorization to remove a child from the home. The DCF worker does not decide on their own to take such an action... They only report their findings and make a request. The information provided here suggests removal would not happen or reasonably be considered.

You might be best served complying with
"reasonable" request...

While that might be true initially, there comes a point rather quickly where one must have the common sense to step away. What is described here seems intrusive and there is no need to tolerate it.

If they contact you again simply tell them you are tired of their intrusion and they are not welcome to return. If they want to force the matter they will have to convince a judge it is necessary.

Personally, I would never have allowed them into my home or to speak with my kids in the first place. Even when you have nothing to hide it is ok to say no. It does not make you seem guilty. It makes you seem informed of your rights and protective of your family.

Back