interview discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

saminny

Hello,
I was recently interviewing for a job and I had terrible experience at the interview. The interviewer was extremely rude as if I was begging for a job. He did not ask me any technical questions or gave me any impression that they were looking to hire me for any position. Instead he was interrogating me about the firm I am working in currently with questions like..
- how much do they have under management? I answered I don't know.. he told how the hell you cant know (so rudely)!!
- how much did they make last year, this year...
- how much I am making..
- what kinds of strategies they are running...

You cant believe how unbelievable rude he was. I tried to be as polite as well and at the same time not give away confidential information. I am not sure if I gave any sensitive info away.

I have been so mentally stressed after the interview that I feel like to sue those guys. They need to learn a lesson on basic etiquette on conducting an interview.

After this interview, I dont want to interview again. It has seriously mentally affected me. How can they be so rude and so interrogative?

My question is - can I actually sue them for this conduct?

regards

Sam

No, not based on what you have posted. It is not illegal to be rude. He does not have to ask you the questions you think he should ask.

He might also have been testing you to see if you would give up the confidential info. Would they want to hire someone that would easily give the info away if they thought it would help them get a job?
If you kept your cool in spite of his rude behavior you may have actually scored some points in that interview.

you guys are nuts!!!!!

I dont care that much about the job anyway. Learn to be human first!!!!

scored points, testing, cool, questions i should have asked! LOL

u need some meditation LOL

do u conduct interview like this??
learn to live in the world..

OP, you are the one who obviously doesn't understand the "real world".

And if one rude interviewer has affected you to this extent, you are the one who needs professional help.

You have received the correct legal information. Move on.

You got the legal information. It was not illegal. You were the one who was telling us how this "affected" you; what did you expect?

Tirade? I think it was more of an alternative view on what might have happened. Nobody said anything derogatory about you. There is no reason to be upset here.

Tirade? I think it was more of an alternative view on what might have happened. Nobody said anything derogatory about you. There is no reason to be upset here.

What do you call this - --If you kept your cool in spite of his rude behavior you may have actually scored some points in that interview

Do you think I would want to score points or work in a place like that after that treatment? And this is unrelated to my question. I did not ask whether I want to get hired at that place. OFCOURSE I DONT !!!! I was asking if I an sue those morons... I got my answer that is NO.

thank you

Yes, you can sue. No, you will not prevail. I wasn't rude to you and gave you an answer to your basic question. I'll offer this tidbit. One can always sue, but tha isn't the question to ask. You should ask yourself if you can prevail. Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excellent

ok you guys convinced me that i am not a good candidate and it was totally my fault. may be you guys were spying in that interview. I should have told them everything about my formal employer and trade secrets etc.. I should have taken all the bs they were giving me. it was all my fault. they didnt hire me because i could be a trouble maker. so they kept the position open longer to find another candidate. i am the ahole right?

I was asking this question whether i would prevail after sueing them.. but never mind

i am sorry thats not me.

i have got 5 other job offers since.

thanks and good luck !!!!

you guys are nuts!!!!!

Not the most pleasant thing to say to people who you have requested help from.

I dont care that much about the job anyway.

Then, why did you interview for it?

The hostile and cocky attitude you are displaying within your posts may have contributed to your feelings about the interview.

The questions you mentioned are not out of line during the course of an interview depending on how they are worded. You had not mentioned what type of position you were applying for.

For an accounting manager's position the following questions would be appropriate:

- how much do they have under management?

They want to know your experience of managing other people and departments.

- how much did they make last year, this year...

The interviewer wants to know if you have recently worked for a firm of similar size as theirs.

- how much I am making..

This is a normal interview question, they simply need to know if they can afford you or not. This question is usually reserved till last and only when a position is about to be offered. But it is not out of the ordinary.

- what kinds of strategies they are running...

The interviewer is simply trying to learn if you have prior experience in similar strategies to theirs.

I have been so mentally stressed after the interview that I feel like to sue those guys. They need to learn a lesson on basic etiquette on conducting an interview.

After this interview, I dont want to interview again. It has seriously mentally affected me.

Based solely upon these words, it appears you are over reacting. Yet since I do not know you I am not going to pass judgement on you. If indeed this interviewer was so rude as you indicated, why did you not ask to speak with the Human Resource Director or other management person about this? If you truly wanted the position, you should not have allowed this to get in the way. One bad person does not make a bad company. Who knows, the interviewer may have just had a bad day and took it out on you.

Bottom line - Your initial question was answered correctly. I feel you may have expected a "formal legal" answer. Yet, most on this site are NOT attorneys. Though they are experienced and knowledgeable individuals who give advice. Thus Mightymoose was giving advice beyond answering your question.

My question is - can I actually sue them for this conduct?

Think about your question. Does it appear reasonable to you? Do you really think there is a law preventing people from being rude? Do you really think there is a law regarding "interview etiquette"? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you are NOT living in the real world.

If you are not interested in learning from the advice given by knowledgeable people, then simply accept the original answer to your question "No".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back