Interpretation of Vehicle code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboble

Am I correct to say this, can anyone break apart the vehicle code, and explain it. I am told that I need to sound the horn because its on a mountainous road. But why sound my horn to tell the other driver ill be on my side of the road. This is a road without a center line, but is expected, and traveled by traffic in opposite directions. I was struck by a truck on my side of the road...

I should not have to signal to another driver that I'm going to be on my side of the road; rather they need to sound theirs because they will be on my side.

The law states the following:

21662. The driver of a motor vehicle traveling through defiles or
canyons or upon mountain highways shall hold the motor vehicle
under
control at all times and shall do the following when applicable:
(a) If the roadway has no marked centerline, the driver shall
drive as near the right-hand edge of the roadway as is reasonably
possible.

(b) If the roadway has insufficient width to permit a motor
vehicle to be driven entirely to the right of the center of the
roadway, the driver shall give audible warning with the horn of the
motor vehicle upon approaching any curve where the view is obstructed
within a distance of 200 feet along the highway.

By the police report, the roadway has a width of 13'. I went to the scene of the accident, and the width of the road is anywhere from 12-14' approaching the turn in question. The width of the other drivers 1996 Chevy 3500 Van without glass rack is 79.2" therefor according to VC section 21662 (B) his vehicle is more than half the width of the road so he is required to sound the horn. While my 2000 Volkswagen Passat Station wagon is of a width of 68.5", meaning that my vehicle is less than half the width of the most narrow part of the road; thusly not requiring me to sound the horn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back