International Mail Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

poli15

Back in March of '07 I shipped a USPS Global Express package to Australia valued at $1800. The Australian buyer paid through Paypal using his credit card. The sale was direct and not through any auction site. In August, I received a chargeback from Paypal because the buyer filed a claim with his credit card that the package was not received. The credit card immediately deducted the funds from Paypal, who in turn, deducted the $1800 from my Paypal account.
The Global Express tracking info showed "Attempted Delivery" 5 days after the package was sent. Due to the fact it was "Attempted" the buyer won the claim and the money was officially deducted from my account. The credit card issuer needs "Proof of Delivery", which usually means a signature.
However, I had the USPS put a trace on the package. They found proof of signature from the buyer that he did in fact receive the package. At this point, I am certain the he was committing mail fraud. I am now in the process of having Paypal contact the buyer's credit card issuer to reverse the funds back to me.
This whole situation has cost me a lot of time and grief. Not to mention that $1800 of my money is still tied up in this situation. Can I take any legal action against this Australian buyer or his credit card company for accepting a fraudulent claim?

Thank you for any input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back