Other Criminal Charges & Offenses interferring with emergency call

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinapooh

My husband was recently charged with interferring with emergency call after he and I got into an argument. The argument became physical and when I picked up the phone to call 911, he thought I was going to use it as a weapon against him and knocked it out of my hand, causing it to breakaway from the wall. I left to the neighbors and called 911. Although there was evidence on his face of an altercation, he was taken to jail and not me. The cops saw the broken phone on the floor and he and I both admitted that he knocked the phone out of my hand. He has already bonded out. He doesn't have anything else on his record. He goes to court next mo. What exactly is he looking at here in Tx? Any advice?

In Michigan interfering with a 911 call is a felony. Your husband would also have a domestic abuse misdemeanor, but this is Michigan, mind you. What you tell the prosecutor has a lot to do with what happens next. They can still charge him and follow through without your help, but they will be leery of doing so. Probable scenario is he pleads guilty to domestic abuse, felony is disgarded, he get minimal probation and some community service.

In Tx it's a class A misdemeanor not a felony. Is it possible that he could still get long term jail time or prison time?

It's possible but unlikely. What you want has a lot to do with what happens next. Probably he'll just get probation/anger management, but, he may also get a lot of jail time. Was alcohol involved? It usually is. . .

I, for one, do not believe for a moment that he swatted the phone away because he thought you'd use it as a weapon. He knocked it out of your hand because you were going to call the cops. If you are supporting this ludicrous claim of his, I am going to guess that you are siding with him and trying to help defend his actions, correct?

He is likely to get probation and counseling - MAYBE some jail time ... don't know for sure about TX, though.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back