Interest and other fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chips9074

So I'll try to keep this short. I had to cover a former roommates rent and utilities in April of '07. He signed a promissory note to pay it back. He also moved out at that point. Fast forward to today. I got a hold of him, finally, and got his address. I'm filling out the paperwork now. He's refused to pay anything back because he "doesn't have any money" and its been over a year now... I feel like he really owes me. What additional fees and interest would be appropriate in this case? prejudgment or post judgement interest? Filing fees? Service expenses?

Thanks

Ask for the farm.

Settle for a goat.

So... How do I calculate the interest? Paperwork states a 9% statutory rate per annum. Not sure... Filing fees would just be the $47 I have to pay to file?

I ended up have to move out also because I wasn't able to afford the apartment alone. Isn't he responsible partly for the time and money it cost to stay there for the following few months and for the move?

Q: So... How do I calculate the interest? Paperwork states a 9% statutory rate per annum.

A: There are several thousands of amortizer programs on the internet; run a few.

Q: Not sure... Filing fees would just be the $47 I have to pay to file?

A: Yes, you have to pay to file a lawsuit.

And the rest of the question? I guess I really have to spell it out.

Instead of going to google and searching for "amortizer programs," I searched for "free legal advice." Like most people would do. I then found the link to this site offering "free legal advice since 1995..." I instead am getting anecdotes and instructions to go to other sites. My questions are not off topic I don't think. Wheres the real help??

Anecdotes? I didn't give you any anecdotes.

Is there any of advice that is incorrect or inaccurate?

I'm just wondering what more beyond the principle I should ask for.

Again, ask for everything you want.

Better to ask for more than ask for less.

If the court doesn't like what you asked for, then it won't be given.

so say I wanted to add half of the next months rent and utilities. That'd be an additional $500-$550. Do I apply this to the principle or service expenses? My claims still gonna be below the $1500 mark so I shouldn't need an attorney or anything right? Am I entitled to the additional months rent and utilities?

so say I wanted to add half of the next months rent and utilities. That'd be an additional $500-$550. Do I apply this to the principle or service expenses? My claims still gonna be below the $1500 mark so I shouldn't need an attorney or anything right? Am I entitled to the additional months rent and utilities?

Again, ask for everything you want.

Better to ask for more than ask for less.

If the court doesn't like what you asked for, then it won't be given.

You don't add it to anything.

You ask for everything you want.

You really need to go to your state bar's website and read everything you can about small claims in your state.

All you have to do is say, "This person owes me $X, plus interest at the rate of X% from X. I also want A, B, and C."

It is not difficult.

okay, well i guess its the paperwork. In my state its very specific. Enter the principle ____,
prejudgement interest ______, service expenses _____. They dont just give me a space to scribble down anything I want. I guess I'll just add it to the principle and wait the the inevitable default judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back