Insurance Nightmare -- Car said to be total loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isam

Summary:

Recently I was involved in a car accident in which I was not at fault. Two cars were in an accident and in the process of trying to avoid one another they broadsided my 1992 Saab Convertible. Unfortunately, due to the age of the car, the damage, and i'm sure other circumstances, the insurance company has declared my car a total loss.

My problem is this:

The value I have been assigned by the insurance company for my car does not seem fair. I have been offered approximately 3 grand for the car. While the bluebook value is near the price they have offered, it is on the low end of it. To make matters worse, there are no cars that are the same make/model/mileage within ~2000 miles of where I live -- at least not in the price range they have assigned. Even if I were to accept their offer, I would likely not be even able to find a car of the same make/model/etc nearby and thereby would have to pay for having it shipped.

So, while I could accept their offer and be at a loss, I'd rather find out what my options are. So my questions are thus:

What are my options as a consumer in CA? What is the protocol to determine the value of my car so I can see whether the amount I have been offered by the insurance is fair? In an accident which I am not at fault, should the claim be done through my insurance or through that of the party at fault?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It appears that they are giving you the full market value of your car.

You can either accept that amount or sue the other folks who were involved in the wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back