Insurance is billing me for officer's injury to hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifewithteens

My stepson (14yrs of age)was apparently involved in an altercation at a local carnival. He ran from the officer that attempted to stop him and when he ran the officer tackled him to the ground. Apparently the officer injured his hand and received medical treatment including therapy. Now, the bill in excess of $11k. We are the legal custodian (primary physical custody) of the child. We live in VA. Although he was visiting his father in PA, when this occurred and his father took him to the carnival, we were in VA. Is my wife, the legal custodian, of the child responsible for the claim the insurance company is making since he was visiting his father in another state? We have received no police report, no documentation as to the injury or incident. The boys father denies it is his responsibility since we are the legal custodians. Funny thing is his father knows this police officer. And he told them to send us the bills. Thanks for any advice you can give.

You both might be responsible.
Of course, your son can assert a claim against the officer. Well, the kid can't, but you can as his guardians.

You should speak with a lawyer.
You should also have a complete physical done on your child.
The kid could have some unknown internal injuries or bone damage.
When you speak with a lawyer, I'm sure you'll be given some guidance.

You're not legally responsible for the injuries to anyone because they say they've been injured. The best thing to do us make no statement or agree to anything. The canned response is to say, "We will consult our insurance company and our attorney."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back