insurance co refusing to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

keanona77

The state or country I am talking about is: NY

I was involved in a car accident on Jan 27. It happened at an intersection with a broken traffic light. I came to a complete stop & was waived on by a car opposite me at the intersection. As I approached the intersection, I was hit my a car that never stopped at the light. The light was a steady red & green. The police came & I contacted my insurance company immediately. They advised me to put the claim in w/them, since it would be faster. They sent their adjustor to the body shop & the work was done on my car, about $4500 worth of damages. Once the work was completed, my insurance company advised I have too many miles on my car and they want my 2004 tax returns. I have had the car for a year & 1/2 and appoximated that I drive 12,000 miles a year, the car is at 19,000 so I went over 1,000 miles more than I estimated. Is this legal for the company to ask for my tax returns? The accident happened right outside my home, so it's not a question of where I live. I need some advice. Thankyou.

I would not give them my tax returns. It sounds like they might be trying to say you gave them some fradulent information but they will have a hard time doing anything. Contact your agent and find out what is going on.

Did the officer assign fault for the accident? Not sure if NY is a no fault state but normally they need to go after the other driver. If you paid the deductible you can also file against him in small claims.

I also think it would be in your best interest to change companies. I suspect they may hit you with a big increase. Here is a link that will get you several quotes:
NETQUOTE

This is not legal advice!

I think you should be very carefull here! Insurance company's do ask how many miles you will do each year and you have gone over your quota of which in there policy they "insure you for".
I am not 100% on this but check your policy to see if there is a clause that "If you change insurance comany's from the said company all on going claims will be classed as forfited"
I had a clause like that in one of my policy's once. I feel you must read through your policy very carefully before you make any major dissions because at the end of the day it is still a binding contract between you and them.

Lawpat, please don't think I am undermining what you said, just voicing another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back