Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Inflated Invoice and returned the money

Daaku

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi,
I inflated an work place invoice by $100 by submitting a quote (instead on an actual invoice) with the forged numbers, I started to feel guilty and was stressed for about three months and i made a choice to return the money back saying i returned the item and bought from a different company for a cheaper price, HR didn't say anything and they did took my check and took the money from my bank account. I thought returning the money will make me feel better, but I am worried that i can get caught for this act even after returning the money voluntarily . I know i did something wrong and learnt my lesson, But worried if i could be get caught and punished. Can i be sent to jail or put in community service for this behavior or slandered in my workplace for this behavior, i haven never done anything bad in my life this is my first brush up with the law. I get stressed whenever i think about this situation and sometimes feel that i should change my work, I like my work here. Should i talk to HR or should i do anything that can protect me in future from getting penalized for this act.

Legally speaking, one would be well advised to NOT admit to any crimes and to only speak with his/her attorney about the matter.

Non-legally speaking, I think you should not say a word and simply live in anxiety/fear of the possible consequences for your actions. Let it be a motivator to NOT do such foolish things in the future.

But worried if i could be get caught and punished.

Returning the money doesn't change the fact that you committed the crime.
You will do yourself a favor to ask no questions and never soak of it. If caught you would be more likely to lose your job than face criminal penalties, but it could be both.

The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Proverbs 28:1 KJV

Back