Consumer Law, Warranties Indie Band Asking Me To Write Songs For Their Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppsayl

My jurisdiction is: PA

Hello. I am an instrumentalist musician living in Pennsylvania. Recently, I was approached by a band who had heard my music and asked if I would "write an instrumental or two" for their upcoming album. After researching the band on-line, I found that they have already produced two studio albums and are working on a third. Also, they have a very large fan base population, so I am estimating that their record sales are rather high.

My question is: if I am to be compensated (be it a one-time payment or royalties/credits), what legal documents/contracts/agreements do I need to have on hand and have signed by the band and myself?

Also, I've heard the term "Mechanical License" in regards to licensing out copyrighted songs to other artists who want to use a songwriter's music. My song collections are currently copyrighted by the U.S. Copyright Office - but the "indie band" also mentioned perhaps using one of my existing instrumentals on their album (they would rap/sing over top the songs). Where do I get one of these "mechanical licenses" or something like that if they want to purchase one of my existing songs for use on their upcoming album?

Thank you for your time.

Paul A. Saylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back