Incarceration for how long? - NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrm96

My Husband is 38 years old and has 7 driving while suspended on his record. Most of these suspensions occurred before age 25. All suspensions are due to non-payment of fines and 2-3 speeding tickets.

His last one was 4 years ago. We had moved to NJ back from Florida and he did not know that he was suspended. The judge sentenced him to a community service program for 12 weeks every sat/sun with no regard for his work or family.

Fast forward, last month he was donating a car to some 20 year olds. When they were done fixing it I took it around the block to test drive it and being that I am not used to his car I ended up skidding onto a neighbors yard 3 houses down. My husband walked me home and sent the boys to find some rope to pull the car.

Someone apparently called the police and when my Husband returned a few minutes later, for whatever reason stated that he had been driving. The boys collaborated this story unfortunately.

He was given 6 tickets.

1.)Driving while suspended
2.)Careless driving
3.)Driving with un-safe tires
4.)Registration expired (4 days prior)
5.)inspection expired (6 months prior)
6.) no insurance (that one will be dismissed, the officer was "hiding" my husbands insurance card and then handed it back to him as he was leaving)

We went to court before the prosecutor (no DA) and tried to tell them the truth,obviously they thought I was lying to help out my husband and quite frankly the prosecutor and officers became irate and extremely demeaning and rude.

They told my husband when we go back to court he can expect to go to jail for quite some time.

The boys are not going to change their story to say that I was driving, they will apparently face Criminal charges for lying to police if they do and they are not willing to do that.

My Husband is going to have to take these charges because they really expressed to us that they don't care who was driving, they only care that he said he was and they want to nail him.

My Husband is a great guy, a hard worker,active in church and a fantastic father of 3 very young children...but this court and judge are known for having no compassion.

What is the maximum penalty and jail time they can give to my Husband for this? We are going to try to obtain a lawyer but I don't even know where to look and honestly do not know if we can afford it or if it would even make a difference as they really seem to have their minds made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back