In England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lara

I bought three pairs of shoes, which I paid for at Tk maxx Manchester UK, on the way out I was stopped by a security guard asking me to go with him to his office, they told me I was recorded on camera changing the price tags on two pairs of shoes but I wasn't given the option to see the video. The shoes in matter were originally in this store 39.99GBP and 29.99GBP a total of 60GBP, at the till I paid a total of 78GBP for the three pairs of shoes. Also I recall that the cashier said, "I'm not sure of the price of these shoes" to which I replied, "Can you check the price with the codes?" the cashier ignored this, did not call anyone to check the price and priced out the shoes making random conversation. I am Mexican and I have never done anything like this. The reason why I did it is as stupid as the incident itself, I thought it wasn't wrong so I did not hide to change the price tags, I saw those shoes at a different price in another tk-maxx but didn't have my size so I thought it would be easy to change the tags in this tk-maxx for a similar price I saw in the previous tk-maxx store. I wasn't given any options of what could happen to me under the circumstances for example if I admitted or denied it. I recall being mocked by other staff that kept coming in the room. The security guard, who never said his name to me, rang the police to come and deal with it but I guess they told him as the value of the goods were under 100GBP and I paid in the till to their cashier so the store needed to deal with it. Anyways two policemen came and the security guard told them the shop would deal with this. The two pairs of shoes were confiscated by the store, the amount I paid for the two pairs was not refunded, I offered to pay the correct price for the shoes but they didn't allowed me to do so. I was told that Civil Recovery (Retail Loss Prevention: www.lossprevention@co.uk) would send me a letter with a fine for the incident to recover administrative and time costs of the issue. I was asked to sign a paper to be able to go, when I came home I realized the space to be filled regarding the incident was left in blank the document merely stated I was banned from the retailer. I feel that I was treated unprofessionally and unfairly (racism) because I am not British. Another point is that this store didn't have visible signs regarding Civil Recovering schemes. I am very stressed about the whole situation and I believe that if I were British I would have been treated differently under the same circumstances. The two policemen came to my house to verify my address I asked them about my situation they told me they were sure what happened was a mistake not a crime and that I would never do it again. I know my action is morally wrong and it is not worth all the stress I am going through, I was not arrested and wasn't given a caution. I have been researching on the net and all I have found is that I will have to pay around 300GBP for loss recovery administrative cost. What is my legal situation and would you do if you were me? Regards, Lara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back