Improper U Turn Ticket - New York -1160E

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFroggerMan

I was driving on a double yellow line side road that makes a T with a highway. There is a stop sign before you get on because there is no entrance ramp. I noticed the traffic was moving slow (about 20-30mph speed limit is 55mph) and thought there must be an accident up ahead. I decided to make a U-Turn and go back from where I came. I made a 3 point turn about 75-100ft before reaching the highway. I made sure to signal and checked to see if there were any cars close by before turning. It took me about 10-15 seconds to complete the turn and while I was finishing a car pulled off the highway and had to wait a few seconds for me. I didn't make much of it because he had plenty of room between me and the highway to stop.

As soon as I got going back from where I came a police officer signaled me to pull over. After giving him my license and registration he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said it probably had something to do with the turn, (because I wasn't speeding, and it is the only thing that he saw me do). I didn't admit I did anything wrong, but it was the only obvious thing. He then said something about me being a new driver, implying that I was not as good, safe, still learning, etc. compared to other drivers; which took me by surprise because I have had my license for over 2 years. I told him I wouldn't consider myself a new driver, but he seemed insistent that I was so I just agreed with him without really agreeing with him trying to be as nice and cooperative as possible. At this time he wasn't being rude, but he wasn't being as friendly as I would expect a professional to be. He then said that the turn I made was dangerous and I almost caused an accident with the car that pulled off the highway. This too took me by surprise but I didn't argue with him because I knew it wouldn't get me anywhere. He asked if I have had any tickets before and I said no, which was true, and he went back to his car. About 5-10 minutes later he came back and gave me a Traffic Violation for and Improper U Turn Section Sub Section 1160E.

I have looked online regarding U-Turn laws and double yellow line laws and don't see where I did anything illegal. There wasn't any No U-Turn sign, it's a flat road, and there were no oncoming drivers nearby. Even though a car had to stop a few seconds for me he wasn't in the area when I began my turn and had no apparent problem stopping safely. When you exit the highway you have to do it at almost a stop anyway because it is a 90 degree turn.

I really feel like I did nothing wrong and I don't want 3 points or violations on my record. I am guessing they would let me plea it down to a nonmoving violation since it is my first ticket, but even then I would still feel like I was getting shafted. I know sometimes it is best to cut your losses but I really feel like I have a chance of winning this one.

If anyone has any impute on my situation as far as the legality and any suggestions regarding what I should do in court I would really appreciate it. Also, should I request a suporting deposition? This is my first time in a situation like this and could really use some advice.

I attached 3 pictures to give you a better idea on the layout of the area. The red dot / line is me, the yellow dot is the police officer.

Thanks again.
Kevin

Last edited:
You crossed a double yellow line. As you describe it, the citation sounds legitimate.

Request traffic school from the court and this will stay off your record, but you will have to pay the associated fines and cost of the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back