Impact of Information in I-485 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandune

My wife was acquitted of a $3-5 shoplifting charge 12 years ago in Calgary Canada. I am sponsoring her for a GC. Obviously, she answered yes to the question dealing with charges in the I-485 form. Now that US immigration has all the paper work concerning teh case; does this info get into other databses.

If she is applying to nursing jobs, where a background check is performed, would this info from the I-485 form show up? She has crossed teh border many times and I am sure that they checked the RCMP system but never asked her about it or denied her entry. The US consulate told her that she does not need a waiver when she tried to apply for one last year.

Any insight or info would be much appreciated

Sandune

Information on US immigration documents is not accessible to employers. US immigration would not share it with them. The only way some company here could get it is if some US data base which stores old Canadian records. If the record was expunged, she can deny it ever happened. But a smart move would be to order background checks from some sources online to see it they have the info or have Canadian info too. If it shows up in Canadian background checks, it might have been purchased by some companies here too. If the record was cleaned in Canada after acquittal, then she should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back