Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks I'm scared and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAmom

Hello all!
First let me apologize because this will probably be a long post. I just want to give you as much information as I can so that maybe you can help me figure all this out.
My neice was arrested yesterday on embezzelment charges. That is all I know about the arrest from the police department. They will only tell me it is an embezzlement charge.
Let me tell you what I know or think I know from her side of the story, then I will tell you what I am hearing from "other" sources and maybe you can help me.
She is a 31 year old single mother of 2. She was working at a small credit union for a few months as a cashier/teller. She was given a small loan. They told her she needed a cosignor and could not get one. Finally she was told just get someone with good credit to give you their info and we will just put that in your file. They don't have to sign anything. So she did and was given the small loan.
A month or so goes by and her boss asks "do any of you guys need any money"? They had just finished with annual audits and the boss said I can give it to you without any paperwork on file. Well... the dummy she takes the offer. A BIG check this time. She wanted to purchase something big and the check was made out directly to the Merchant. The check was signed by a manager of this small credit union. I saw the check with my own eyes as I took her to purchase her BIG item. She was not the only one who took the boss up on the offer.
Now she has fallen behind in her payments on the Small loan and they are calling everyone trying to get in touch with her. She quit working for them because 25 hours a week is not enough to support 2 kids.
Yesterday the P.D. calls her on her cell phone and says could you come in we just have a few questions to ask you. She drives over there they ask about this BIG check she explains everything and they say "IT WAS NOT A LOAN"! She says" yes it was why else would I have gotten a check that big made out for a down payment on a big purchase"? They say "you embezzled that money out of the credit union" and handcuff her. BOOM she's in Jail.
Before I tell you their side (from what I hear from other sources) let me just tell you we live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone!
Now for their side of the story. I called a bailbondsman. I explain the whole thing and the lady says "hold on let me make a phone call". I hold. I hear her talking in the background. She hangs up and tells me" she was talking to the credit union because she is related to someone who works there." She proceeds to tell me my neice is guilty and I should not even think of bailing her out. Then she tells me what this person at the credit union says.
They say my neice took the money out of some old mans account and cut herself a check. Then she shredded all documents and evidence. The girl who is saying all this is one of the ones who took advantage of the paperless loans if that matters.They are also saying no one from the credit union signed the check.
They also called the family member who was the person who's info was put in the file and told them" they had to pay off the first small loan as the cosignor". The family member said" I did not sign anything and I will not pay it". The credit union said "you did sign and we have a notary stamp saying you did". They were told they(the credit union) better contact the notary because this family member lives out of state and has not been to this state in 5 years. The credit union backed off and said ok we will have to do something else.
Some other info just in case it helps. The boss at this place is a family member of the owners. According to my neice she does all kinds of illegal things and thinks the reason she had my neice arrested is she needed a fall guy.
I don't know the truth I really don't. I am soooo confused and torn. I want to think it is all a bunch of crap.
She goes for an arrainment tomorrow. This is a first offense. I am going to have to hope they release her on an OR as no one has the money to post bail. She will also have to ask for a public defender.
Anyway any help you can give me or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have her kids so all I can do now is make sure they are OK and trust in the system I guess.
Thanks in advance and have a great afternoon!

Maybe if she talks to the D.A. with her lawyer she can cut a deal if she tells them everything she knows about the illegal goings on and agrees to testify against them....VERY RISKY though. Her lawyer really has to be her advocate and believe her. Do you know if any other law enforcement agency is looking into the credit union for fraud or anything?

Hi Calalily and Thank You soo much for answering me!
I really don't know alot about the illeagle goings on at this place I just know my neice says it was happening. I really haven't had a chance to talk to her for very long when she calls. I do ask her everytime though are you sure you did nothing wrong and she swears it is all BS. She says thats why they stopped calling the family member. They could not bluff them. She says they use to do it all the time while she worked there.
Like I said I am so torn and scared espeacily for these babies.
Do you think she will be ok with a public defender? I feel quilty about not having the extra money to help her.
She swears that when she gets out this credit union will have some 'splaining to do! I sure hope she's right.
Thanks again and anything you have to offer is so very appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back