I'm not sure who's at fault in my accident!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imadubyajewel

I was involved in a car accident today. Heres what happened:

I was in the center turn lane, turning left across one lane of on coming traffic. The traffic in front of me was backed up so I could only see about 4 car lengths ahead of me, as I started to make my left turn on to a little side street to go to the bank I saw a car coming towards me very fast and quickly hit the gas as fast and as hard as i could. I completed my turn and had a brief moment where i thought she had missed hitting me. But then WHAM the driver side corner of her front bumper and headlight rammed into my rear passenger door and scraped down to the end of my bumper as i continued going forward in my turn. I jumped the gun and automatically assumed it was my fault because I thought I had turned in front of her and I felt really bad. But then I started to realize that for whatever reason she had turned right, which was the same direction i was going, to try and avoid hitting me, and I think because she did that, it made her hit me instead of missing me from behind. If she had of steered left to avoid me or just went straight she would have either hit in between my two doors and directly in the middle of her bumper or would have hit the passenger side corner of her front bumper, but because she turned right the driver side corner of her front bumper hit me. Also she was in a huge hurry and did not want to wait for the police. I said normally i always call the police but it was up to her, I asked if she wanted me to call she said no. She called her insurance and asked them and they said she should but she said if she called and they didnt come soon she would leave. At this point I still fell bad and was really shooken up and still thought it was my fault. I gave her all of my insurance information and she gave me her name phone number ins company and number and we parted ways.

About an hour later I was thinking that if she had of called the police the report might have said that it was a contributory negligence case because I honestly think she was speeding since she was in a hurry, she also turned in the direction that i was going to avoid hitting me, which I believe caused her to hit me more than prevented her from hitting me. I have heard rumors that in north carolina there is a law that states if a car is hit from head on by another car and it's behind the passenger door that it is both parties faults because one turned in front of the other and the other, if going the speed limit, technically should have had time to stop or slow down. Im just not sure what I should do. I filed a claim for my own car but I feel like it wasn't 100% my fault... Im not sure what to think... any help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back