Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft I'M IN NEED OF HELP. DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

bru1

hi.
3 days ago. i got arrested in a store my the store officer. he took me to the back. and i gave him all my information. made me sign a paper and took a picture of me. the total amount of money stole was $113.75.
the then called the cops. where they game me a ticket. and a court day. the police officer told me that i had to go to the police department and get my fingerprints taken. and he gave me the court date. he also told me that i would be getting a letter by mail. in the next few weeks, and that was it. I have a couple of questions. I have no idea what to do, since this is my first time. i have never done anything like this.
1. What is that letter that i will be getting?
2. i have been reading and will i be getting a civil demand?
3. i have no idea what is going to happen at court, what should i do. are they just going to make me pay the ticket or what?
4. i am leaving the country in 9 days and the police was kind enough to give me the court day when i come back. but im afraid i wont get the letter that he told me, or a letter for the civil demand.What then?
i come back in 40 days. august 23.
5. Will this be on my record forever. Is there anything i can do.?
I am 20 years old and this is my first time shoplifting. I am really scared that my parents will find out about this. I am really scared and just have that on my mind the whole time. i don't know anything about this and don't know what to do. Is there anyway my parents could find out about this? other than me telling them.
Please i need the help.i don't have much time.

1. What is that letter that i will be getting?
Not sure its either Civil Demand or your court date
2. i have been reading and will i be getting a civil demand?
Most likely yes
3. i have no idea what is going to happen at court, what should i do. are they just going to make me pay the ticket or what?
This is a criminal offense and carries more thanjust fines. You should start calling lawyers
4. i am leaving the country in 9 days and the police was kind enough to give me the court day when i come back. but im afraid i wont get the letter that he told me, or a letter for the civil demand.What then?
i come back in 40 days. august 23.
Have somone pick up your mail and contact you
5. Will this be on my record forever. Is there anything i can do.?
Talk to your Attorney about diversion
I am 20 years old and this is my first time shoplifting. I am really scared that my parents will find out about this. I am really scared and just have that on my mind the whole time. i don't know anything about this and don't know what to do. Is there anyway my parents could find out about this? other than me telling them.
Sure they could by any numbers of means

i was able to tell my parents and i gotta admit that it was the best thing that i could do. i feel 100 times better. They support me and we are looking into contacting a lawyer about this.

The police officer told me that i was going to get a letter, in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure that sure its not the civil demand, i already know the court date, because the police officer told me and wrote it on the ticket that i got. that is why i'm wondering what this letter is.

Is the civil demand just something i have to pay to the story or something else?

i also wonder what would happen if i need to sign or do something and i won't be able to since i'm out of the country. Like if the lawyer needs something form me.

Im not really clear about a diversion. But by doing this and getting probation. Will i be able to keep this criminal offense of my record?

And what if i don't do the diversion. and just plead guilty. what would happen to me if im a first time offender.

thank you

Civil Demand is a civil fine,unrelated to any court fines. You should pay it right away. Discuss your case and what needs to be done with your Attorney

thank you.
i also want to know if all the things that the security guys from the store did, will be use against me on court. like the picture of the items. And the paper and testimony that he made me sign.
Or if this is just information for the store.
im not sure about this

ok thanks so much

but what if i choose not to fight it. what will happen to me. i just want to know what to expect in court. will it just be me and the judge. what will i get.if you have any idea what is gonna happen please let me know.

thank you.
1. I talked to a lawyer. and i'm still a little confuse about the civil demand from the store and my court situation. Are they completely different. Won't i be paying the restitution on court. why would i pay the store separately when they send me a letter. Should i just pay for it anyways.

2. A lawyer told me that if the amount taken was lower than $50 it would be easy to make it just as a citation. like a traffic ticket. Mine was $113.75 and he said that he it was possible to try and make it like this. I told him that I'm a full time student and he said that he could show the judge my proof of this and a few letters of recommendation to try and just keep it of record. Is this true?

3. I am mainly worry for this thing to be kept off my record, if you could please tell me what is my best option to make this happen?

1. I talked to a lawyer. and i'm still a little confuse about the civil demand from the store and my court situation. Are they completely different. Won't i be paying the restitution on court. why would i pay the store separately when they send me a letter. Should i just pay for it anyways.
I suggest you pay civil demand. There will b eno restitution topay unless there was some damage to merchandise

2. A lawyer told me that if the amount taken was lower than $50 it would be easy to make it just as a citation. like a traffic ticket. Mine was $113.75 and he said that he it was possible to try and make it like this. I told him that I'm a full time student and he said that he could show the judge my proof of this and a few letters of recommendation to try and just keep it of record. Is this true?
We are not in the habit of arguing what your Attorney tells you. If you question his advice consult another

3. I am mainly worry for this thing to be kept off my record, if you could please tell me what is my best option to make this happen?bru
Diversion or ACD

thank you.

1. I've gone to some lawyers and 2 so far have told me to not pay for the restitution. Not to worry about that. They say that the court will make me pay for that anyways. And that if i already got the letter and payed to the store. i would have to tell that to the court. Should i wait for the court day to pay for restitution, or should i just pay the store when they send me the letter.

2. Will the ACD or diversion program or by doing it, clear my record completely. or i would still have something on it. What does this program do exactly to my record.
I just want my record to be clear.

Its not my understanding court will order restitution if there was no property damage or loses
Diversion or ACD generally leave your record with "no" conviction

Ok thank you.

But if the property was damage and the store staff told me they had to rip it to pieces and throw it away. Could the court tell me to pay restitution? Would i have to pay the court and the store too for restitution?

So by the diversion, i would have my record like nothing happened. cause one of the lawyers told me that the diversion program was part of a probation that i could get, and after the probation, he then could sponge out my record.

If court orders restitution then they cannot seek civil demand

Diversion programs vary you need to ask your attorney. Normally it shows on a background check as a dismissal

thank you so much.

i have one question. The police officer told me that i had to go and get booked at the police station. Is there anything Important before i know. Will they just get my fingerprints, picture?
Will they ask me questions?, Can i get arrested?
Should i answer anything they ask me and will i be there for a long time?
This is my first offence.

Relax all they will likely do is take your prints,picture and, info. They are not going to ask you any questions and if by some odd reason they do answer nothing without your lawyer by your side

thank you, i feel much better now.
I have a question about the court process. Can a lawyer go anytime before my court date and be able to settle it or do anything for my case. Or he has to Wait till my court date and the sentencing to take some action or deals.
I ask this because 2 lawyers told me that they had to wait. and a couple more told me that they could go and do something before the court date.

So i was just wondering if that is allowed, or not.

The Judge makes the decision on court date. What your Attorney can do is arrange plea deal with DA before court

Ok thank you. I'll tell my attorney to try to go before the court date so that he could make a date. I think that would be a better thing to do right, in order to get this over with.

I have a question.
I went to the police station to get booked and they weren't able to do it. And since they only do that on thursdays. I wont be able to get booked before my court date, since i leave next wednesday and i don't come back in a month and my court date is 3 days after i come back. So there is no way i will be able to get booked by then, and the police officer told me to do it before the court date. Im worried about this. Is there anything i could do? will this affect me the day of court? Is it possible for me to change the court date, if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back