I'm Helpless, is Emancipation a Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezeplz

Hello, I'm a 17 year minor that currently resides in Florida. I've lived with the same parents all my life (birthed parents) and differences in opinion between them and I can be traced to late elementary school. I am atheist, they are catholic, and they forced me to go to church (and sacraments that are related to catholicism e.i. Conformation). I hold no allegiance to a particular political party, they are Republicans that have tried to indoctrinate their opinions upon me. The list goes on and failing to conform to any of these ideologies, beliefs, and opinions will label me as defiant and 'sick in the head'. The classic example of teenage rebellion seems so stereotypical but there are many fundamental rules I just don't listen to on mere merit. However as I have gotten older and I have become more and more aware of my situation and begun to realize how hopeless I actually am.

My father used to have a very great job that paid well and provided benefits, now he does random jobs and travels to sell used cars (or so I am told) which don't pay nearly as well and provide no benefits. Why is this important? because I am limited to my resources. I want a job, my parents claim it will affect my education and make the whole family uninsured. In reality though, I'm a straight A student that takes advanced courses at highschool and duel enrolled at a local community college (I plan to graduate with a AA degree). Without going into specifics, I have plenty of free time and instead of being productive I spend time on videogames and other things I enjoy but my parents hate. Now I researched the insurance claim and although I am not 100% sure (because they won't provide my any information), I believe my family is using medicaid and that we are just below the maximum household income to be eligible (I live in a house of 2 parents and 5 siblings). I assume that if I get a job that it will increase the household income enough to no longer be eligible and lose the government assisted insurance.

I find this just wrong, my parents are gaming the system and this is why I am not able to become more independent and able to do the what 'normal' teenagers do (I am unable to do many things because I am poorer than most/have stricter rules). Both parents I suspect are not properly filing their income reports too, with many transactions happening 'under the table'. Not to mention that that are verbally abusive at times and are occasionally physical as well (but less as much, with children growing up).

They denied me driver's lincense, my contact lenses (instead of wearing glasses), ability to get a job, play videogames, and so on. All I want is a somewhat normal teenage life. At my age the majority of people are driving and can afford minor expenses (like going to the movies). Not many people want to be friends with a poor, superficially looking lazy person. Not many girls don't want a guy who can't transport her and pay for a date. Want a new computer? new clothes? new shoes? Well I sure do but I am unable to provide for myself. I live with unlimited desires and not a single resolution. I live in a household that quote "is a dictatorship". I am determined to change but am helpless. These thoughts have pushed me to an edge of suicide before in my early years (13-15) however I was inspired to change. There's no doubt that there is a little voice that occasionally says to just end it but I don't listen, I understand that this is just a stage in my life with many more to come.

So I come here not to vent, but to ask legal advice. I am fairly knowledgeable about the rights of minors in FL, US. However I wanted to know if there is anything minor I could use as leverage against my parents. All I really want is a job, the rest I can hold off until I'm an adult. I know that delaying employment not only with it affect me in a negative way socially but if I don't get a job, but there are alot of doors that close and I believe I would be alot happier overall if I got one. I am extremely unhappy of my helpless situation and I am willing to do many things in order to become more independent.

Is it smart to seek minor emancipation? Is there something else I can do legally? or am I just screwed until I'm 18? To many I am considered mature enough to take on large responsibilities (teachers, professors, peers, peer's parents, etc.) however I am aware that I am not the verdict, my parents are. The requirements for emancipation in Florida require the proof to be self sustainability but I can't because I can't get a job. I must also have a Parent's signature on a Petition, I am fairly certain they will decline.

I have also contemplated calling child services and being relocated, but I believe the emotional hardship I would endure there might be worse. I seek not to imprison or do anything malicious against my parents, I just want to become more independent. The thought of a lost childhood scares me: No first date, no being apart of a sports team, bot being apart of that 'club', not keeping up socially with friends, etc. I know the likely answer will be just wait until your 18 but it makes me depressed just thinking about the things I wasn't able to experience while a child. I have been under this state of mind ever since I came out of my depression as a 13-15 year old. The notation of "Just wait until you're 18 and you can do most of what you want" is such a hard thing to live by as a child.

Any help is appreciated. I thank you for reading the whole thing if you got this far and I am fully aware of most of the pros and cons of becoming an adult (I don't see myself as the typical ignorant teenager, however most people that say that tend to be ignorant teenagers themselves) Therapy is not what I ask for, I just want to change the situation I am in and I assume legal means is the only way I can do it. If there are any helpful links or if I should post in another section please tell me I was unsure

I didn't have to read more than the first sentence. In Florida, unless your parents, both of them, will sign the emancipation petition it's not going to happen. There is no provision in Florida law to a minor to be emancipated unless their parents sign for it. And even if they will, unless you have a past history of paying ALL your own expenses, (rent, food, clothing, utilities, medical care, insurance, transportation, school fees and supplies, staples, etc.), emancipation is a no-starter.

Don't bother coming back with "but my situation is different. They should make an exception because..." They won't. Don't even bother asking.

FYI - your duplicate posts have been removed.

Last edited:
I know you don't think so but you will be 18 before you know it - time passes fast believe it or not.

Where I come from they call what your parents are experiencing life. They call what you are experiencing childhood. It all sounds like it is going according to the master plan. I can see the childrens services worker now. Call SWAT!!! We have a couple more Catholics on the loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back