Im being sued for unpaid HOA!!

Mariani

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi,
Just got a summon from my hoa in florida for unpaid hoa worth 43k inc atty fees and interests. We filed chapter 13 back in 2009 which includes our house that we left in florida and moved back to illinois where we live now and also put my hoa name in the bankruptcy. Why are they suing me now and what can i do about it? Do i need a florida lawyer for this or can i just get an illinois lawyer close to me? Can someone pls help for i only have 20 days i think to submit my response. I dont have that kind money to pay for it and what can i do about it!!! Thank u so much!!

Yes, you need a lawyer. You have no choice. If you are being sued in an IL court, get an IL lawyer. If you are being sued in a FL court get a Florida lawyer. Either way, get a lawyer. Otherwise you risk a default judgment if you don't respond or a judgment if you don't get the response right.

Do u think the hoa will deal with a florida lawyer to lower the amt of what they are asking? Im really scared and dont know what to expect...so much money!! Thanks

I can't guarantee anything but I think the entire debt would have been discharged in your bankruptcy and some fool at the HOA decided to spend some money to have a lawyer file the suit just to see what would happen.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a lawyer to properly respond to the lawsuit to get it dismissed.

You might want to talk to your former bankruptcy lawyer today and see what he has to say about it. If he's in Florida he might be able to make short work of this.

Make the call today.

Do u think the hoa will deal with a florida lawyer to lower the amt of what they are asking? Im really scared and dont know what to expect...so much money!! Thanks

No one can predict what another person will do.
All the more reason to see a lawyer.
Start by discussing your issue with an Illinois bankruptcy lawyer.
The lawyer CAN provide you with answers to your questions, then you decide.

Back