I'm 19 and he's 17

kaitlyn1016

Jurisdiction
Texas
I'm 19 years old.. Me and this guy are talking and we really like each other but he's 17 years old and doesn't turn 18 until December.. His parents seem to not care that we like each other but I'm still living at home and my mom says it's illegal(which I know it can be if have sex, and I don't plan on having sex at all until marriage).. I just graduated with the class of 15'.. I don't know what to do..

my mom says it's illegal

She's wrong.

Read the following webpage where an attorney explains the statutes:

Texas Age of Consent Law

I don't plan on having sex at all until marriage)

Good.

Way too many unmarried teenage pregnancies going on. It can ruin your life.

If you change your mind make sure you insist on using condoms. Buy your own and keep them with you. That way there's never an excuse for not using them. Practice on a cucumber or something similar. Takes only a few seconds to save yourself a lot of grief.

You may go to the movies, have dinner, attend a concert, or dance a jig with anyone you like. A person under the age of 17 may do those things so long as his or her parents allow it. Therein lies the rub. Keep in mind that "sex" is far more than intercourse and other physical, amorous acts can be legally problematic if only one of you is a legal adult. Your best bet is to stay friend, get to know one another's families, and don't rush it. If this truly is "the one", you have a whole lot of years ahead of you to be together as you like. In the meantime, friendship is never a bad foundation for a relationship.

She's wrong.

Read the following webpage where an attorney explains the statutes:

Texas Age of Consent Law

Good.

Way too many unmarried teenage pregnancies going on. It can ruin your life.

If you change your mind make sure you insist on using condoms. Buy your own and keep them with you. That way there's never an excuse for not using them. Practice on a cucumber or something similar. Takes only a few seconds to save yourself a lot of grief.

So is it okay we date??

You may "date" so long as the 17 year olds parents permit him to date. There is no law against socializing. General rule of thumb, if you wouldn't do it with your grandmother, you can't do it with him.

You may go to the movies, have dinner, attend a concert, or dance a jig with anyone you like

As long as your definition of "date" does not include anything sexual, you may as long as his parents are okay with it. Since he is a minor, as soon as they say no, it becomes no. The state (no state) gives two hoots what you do as long as you leave anything sexual out of it. There are NO laws anywhere in the US that limit who you may "date" - only who you may have sexual contact with. Note as indicated above that "sexual contact" is not limited to intercourse.

The thing is his parents could change their mind about you "dating". If so, there might end up being a problem for you since you are an adult & he is a minor. "Sometimes" parents believe an adult did something unacceptable/sexual with their minor child even if he/she didn't. It is sometimes best just to wait until the minor turns 18 to be together.

Back