I'm 17 and want/ need to be emancipated.

J

Jrose

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I am 17 years old. I go to highschool and take college courses. I have two jobs, one I've had for about 10 months and the other one I've had for just a few weeks now. I make $7.45/hr at one and $9/hr at the other I work at least 5 days a week but usually it's 6 even 7 days. I have a reliable transportation, I would be able to have a place and I can affor to support my self. I have a budget I follow very strictly, I buy everything I need and take care of all my responsibilities, I want to be emancipated because I know I am perfectly capable of taking care of my self. Also the living situation isn't that great. We have 7 people living in our house and it is way to stressful. My mother refuses to let me get emancipated and move out and is forcing me to stay until I finish school. But I'm a junior
And after this semester I will only have 2 required courses I have to take. I'm very responsible I make very excellent grades and was just wondering if you think I have a chance at emancipation, an estimate on a price, who I should contact in my county which is McDowell county NC, and how long the process could take. I want to get out as soon as possible.

Emancipation is very rare.
You won't be successful because you're displeased with your living arrangements.
You'll be emancipated by operation of law on your 18th birthday.
That's all you've got, mate, hang on because you'll be 18 long before you could have been legally emancipated.

An emancipation takes between 9 months to over a year.
Court cases aren't a rapid solution to most problems.

When you are 18, you can move out and go anywhere you want. Until then, the blunt fact is that you do not have a prayer of being emancipated. Emancipation is not and never was intended to be a means for a minor to leave a bad situation (and you have not described anything even remotely valid). Emancipation was and is intended to be a means to provide legal protections to those minors who, for reasons outside their own control, found themselves living on their own.

Back