Illness Discrimination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious

a 10 year NYC public school teacher, back in November 2011, had to go on disability because of debilitating migraines and was off for 5 months... went back earlier than what was recommended because she was feeling better and now her principal told her today that the 2012 school year she will be moved to 5th grade (from 1st) and she will not be the only teacher in her class she will now be "team teaching" because of her illness... that legal?

curios... thanks

Yes. If she was gone for more than 12 weeks, as far as the law is concerned they had no further obligation to hold her job at all, let alone put her back in the same position. Unless she has a contract or CBA that says she cannot be moved to a different grade level or put into a team teaching situation, they can put her in any classroom they like and it will be legal.

Thank you much for your reply! What you write leads me to other questions... Preface: I'm not a NYC teacher nor am i versed in any of the legalities...

you say they had no obligation to hold her job but she is tenured... i am assuming you mean that school is no longer responsible and could lay her off and she'd have to get herself placed elsewhere?

also, after 12 weeks was about when her fmla ran out and she had to go on disability, is that the limitation of responsibility the board of ed has towards her?

What I am saying is that as far as either the Federal government or the NY state government is concerned, on week 13, day 1 of her leave the employer is free to terminate her employment and they will have no objection. If she has other protections, such as tenure, she will have to take that up with the school district. The law is not concerned with it.

Disabilty benefits are not leave time; disablity benefits are how you get paid while you are on leave. The law only requires that she receive 12 weeks of FMLA. After that, the employer has no further responsibility UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Not having read any agreements or protections she may have with the school district, I cannot comment on them.

OP, your teacher friend should consult with her union representative. The union rep should know whether the collective bargaining agreement and/or the civil service system come into play with her reassignment.

With that said, in most instances an employer can reassign an employee for purposes of satisfying staffing requirements and/or accommodating an employee's illness. Even with collective bargaining and civil service protections, I doubt your teacher friend can do anything to challenge this reassignment under these circumstances.

hey markee,you sholud have a website for multiple games,eve online would be a jackpot,look at battleclinic,those guys are rich,i would be able to refer 100s upon thousands of players if you had eve online website,

that she only eat 450 calories and burns 600 . she is only doing harm! yes she does get thin becuase exercise is the only way of loosing fat, but she is starving her body, she can end up in a case of anorexia! combining a healthy diet (not only fruit and vegetables, but meat fish chicken, eggs, and even a small amount of sweets) and a great fitness work out will make you have the body type you have always wanted.if anyone is interested in more information you can contact me on

This guy speaks like a reatrd, has no knowledge of body language, and sounds like Kermit the Frog..A grown man playing Runes of Magic .lol ../facepalm Can he say UH UMMMMMMMMM UHHH UM any more ?

looks slightly more like burn marks. Either way don't be an ass tdaorws other people. I don't think if you lost all your fingers you would enjoy people calling you a freak.

16aab3535bI wish to express tnkhas to the writer just for bailing me out of this challenge. Because of searching through the internet and obtaining tips which were not pleasant, I figured my entire life was gone. Living devoid of the approaches to the issues you've sorted out all through this review is a critical case, and the kind that might have in a wrong way damaged my entire career if I hadn't noticed the website. Your good know-how and kindness in handling a lot of things was precious. I'm not sure what I would've done if I had not discovered such a solution like this. It's possible to now relish my future. Thank you very much for this expert and sensible guide. I won't think twice to suggest your web blog to anyone who wants and needs recommendations about this issue. 155

I cook home made stews, soups,and other meals ie spag bol and curries. How do i know what crioales i am am consuming?I don't use lots of oil and use lean meat where possible even bulking up my food with more veg ie squash and sweet potatoe. My salt is always meased to the lower end and i don't drink pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back