Eviction Process Illinois Eviction Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

madelynsmom1206

I need some assistance. I own a home that is only in my name and same with the utilities in the state of Illinois. I am having a hard time finding a lawyer that will help me. I have a boyfriend that is an alcoholic and I want him out of my home. He started screaming and being beligerant while drunk earlier this week and was doing this all in front of my 8 year old daughter. I called the first lawyer and he said there is nothing he can do because there is no lease with the boyfriend and I would never win a court case. The second lawyer told me the same thing and said that I couldn't do a restraining order because I already told the boyfriend in a text that he was being evicted and the judge would see that and think I was lying about the verbal abuse just to get him out sooner. The third attorney advised me to change the locks when I wanted without an eviction notice I just needed to tell him verbally. If he pursues with a court case then I could hire him and he would go into court with the position that the boyfriend is equivalent to a squatter and has no legal basis for staying in the home. This concerns me because I don't want the court to view me in a bad way for doing it this way. I intend to give him the 30 days as I texted him earlier. He has paid half the house payments most of the time but I have never given receipts of any type to him. My concern with the locks is that he could call a locksmith and probably get in by showing the guy that he has mail to the address and then what would happen. I am so confused and I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone. I don't want to get myself into trouble with the judge or anything by changing the locks in 30 days. If anyone can provide me any advice that would be great. Thank you much!

You can evict him.
That's the only legal way to get him out, unless he is beating or battering you.
If that's happening, report it to the police. They'll tell you how.

Otherwise, read ths:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=3917

Google eviction for your county in IL. Each county possibly offers more information online.
Otherwise, that link lays it all out.
This is why you don't let ANYONE stay overnight in your home, many refuse to leave.

The process can take anywhere from six to twelve weeks.
It depends if you reside in Chicago or Alton. The more people, the longer the wait.

Last edited:
You do not have to wait for a physical assault. If he is a danger to you or your child then consider pursuing the restraining order.
If his presence is simply inconvenient now then move forward with the eviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back