Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication illegal possesion of alcohol (court date is october 24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyger2099

me and one of my friends were leaving a high school football game. well another one of our friends asked if we wanted to ride to a party with him. so we started on our way to his car, and by the time we got in the school security cop came over there and saw some beer cans in the car. he had about a half a case in the back seat. it resulted in all 3 of us going to jail for illegal possesion of alcohol, even though our friend claimed it all. is there anyway that me and the other guy can get out of this charge?

p.s. we live in alabama

Last edited:
Originally posted by tyger2099:
me and one of my friends were leaving a high school football game. well another one of our friends asked if we wanted to ride to a party with him. so we started on our way to his car, and by the time we got in the school security cop came over there and saw some beer cans in the car. he had about a half a case in the back seat. it resulted in all 3 of us going to jail for illegal possesion of alcohol, even though our friend claimed it all. is there anyway that me and the other guy can get out of this charge? p.s. we live in alabama
First, you would need to look at the statute that you were charged with. If you were in someone else's car and it was his alcohol, then it is possible that you may not be charged with possession of alcohol since you did not possess it, the car owner did. I would argue that two people can't "possess" a case of beer under the law (see the definition of possession with regard to the statute).

If the friend is not the car owner, it is possible that both the friend and the car owner could be charged. If the friend claims the the ownership of the alcohol it should help the rest of the group. However, you need to be careful since some statutes do deal with the presence of alcohol in a motor vehicle. Again, carefully read the statute which you have been alleged to have violated and see how it might not apply to you. If your friend claims it all, then he is truly your friend!!:D

we went to court and the case was dismisses b/c the officer had no clue what she was doin, and lucky for us we have a few friends in the courthouse.

Originally posted by tyger2099:
we went to court and the case was dismisses b/c the officer had no clue what she was doin, and lucky for us we have a few friends in the courthouse.
Those are the best friends to have in these matters!!! :D Doesn't sound like the situation was handled well in the first place in hauling all of you into court. Good to hear and best of luck in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back